Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3040424344

Thread: 2005 NBA Draft Thread

1. I don't care about the draft, but I wanted to laugh at Strider. So:

Charlie Villanueva. LOL

2. Dude, you don't understand. When Charlotte took Felton, I was thrilled because I thought they were too smart for a reach like that. Then when the Blazers took Webster I was basically about run laps around my neighbourhood screaming "GERALD GREEN!" At the top of my lungs, then go online and laugh at every Knicks fan I came across.

Then Stern gets up, and I swear he was trying not to laugh, and reads out "Charlie Villa-noo-ey-va". It was just like a bad dream. The crowd howls. I yell out "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" exactly like the end of Episode III, except I wasn't trying to imitate it. My next door neighbour knocks on my door to see if I'm alright. Now Steven A. Smith is trashing my team on TV for the 100th time this year - "I don't know what the [he holds back the f-bomb, changes expressions mid sentence]...on Earth this team is thinking!"

For the last two months all anyone had said was Granger or Green, nobody said anything about Villain. Why would they? It makes no sense! I'mstill watching. Local reports are saying the team draft party is basically breaking out in a riot, GM Babcock won't come out to address the crowd.

I sit there, numb, through LA's pick, praying this is part of a trade. But deep down I know it's not, because Babcock is scared stiff to make a trade after the Carter deal. Then the Raps second pick comes up, and Granger and Green are still there somehow, and I'm saying "okay, don't screw this up, you can't screw this up, you traded Vince for this pick, make it Green." I'm expecting it, slam dunk, no questions asked.

Stern comes up again. "Joey Graham. He is not here tonight."

I like Graham. But I can't believe it. I turn off the tv. I think about finding a new team, maybe even a new sport. Later I hear Doc Rivers is already calling a Celtics championship in 3 years. I'll damn well bet they are.

There are rumours going around today Villanueva is part of trade discussions with New Orleans for Magloire. I think they're just trying to play with our minds. The only thing I can take out of this is that they somehow got the #1 PG prospect in Europe in the second round, when everyone had him going 16-18. That, and the Knicks came through and did something stupid taking Frye, although overall their draft was okay.

But I really don't have any idea what they're thinking with Villanueva. The way the draft went the pick wasn't as retarded as it first seemed, since none of the guys projected to go around 7 went anywhere close for some reason. everyone was wrong. But still, the Raptors want to put him at C, he thinks he's a small forward, I think it's a mess. Trade him for Magloire yesterday, please.
    -Kyo

3. This draft got awesome when my boy Nate got picked by the Suns. But then you find out that he's not staying. That would have been sweet. The Suns can win by running, they just need to play defense is all. The two are not exclusive.

4. The Knicks getting Nate Robinson was one of the things that made their draft okay. If he was still on the board at #41, good chance Toronto would have taken him. Oh well, better the Knicks have no center after trading Kurt Thomas away. Isiah's saying Frye will play power forward - genius! Now they've traded both their centers for perimeter guys who can't shoot, and they have 6 PFs on their roster. If they sign Kwame Brown, it'll be the icing on the cake.
    -Kyo

5. As a son of Toronto (living in California coincidentally), I disavow the Raptors and that heaping pile called management. Once they traded Carter, after giving him little to nothing for so long, the final nerve was struck and the franchise can get lost for all I care. The Maple Leafs they aren't.
    Last edited by Geo; 04 Jul 2005 at 12:49 PM.

6. Actually, they have the same president, which is the problem - Richard Peddie knows jack about basketball. But the rumour flying around Toronto right now is that Villanueva was drafted to be traded along with Mo Pete for Jamal "Toronto native and all star center" Magloire. The trade hasn't been announced yet because the weird NBA rules say Peterson can't be traded for a year after the Raptors signed him last August. He was a restricted free agent last year, the Hornets made him an offer, but the Raptors had the right to match it and keep him, which they did.

If that happens, I'll do a happy dance and Babcock will have redeemed himself. If it's just wishful thinking (like when everyone was sure Babcock traded Vince for Alonzo Mourning so he could trade him to Miami, not just buy him out and get nothing) then it's going to be a long summer...
    -Kyo

7. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo
    The Knicks getting Nate Robinson was one of the things that made their draft okay. If he was still on the board at #41, good chance Toronto would have taken him. Oh well, better the Knicks have no center after trading Kurt Thomas away. Isiah's saying Frye will play power forward - genius! Now they've traded both their centers for perimeter guys who can't shoot, and they have 6 PFs on their roster. If they sign Kwame Brown, it'll be the icing on the cake.
    I know there's the rumored a sign and trade with the Wizards involving Sweetney for Kwame Brown, but even Kwame wouldn't be stupid enough to go to NY, would he? He needs to go to a low profile franchise like Atlanta where he won't get slammed in the media on a daily basis. Man, did Mike ruin that kid or what? He has a higher ceiling than Jermaine O'Neal but will we ever see it?

Villaneuava was a reach but not on talent. There's no doubt he's a top 10 talent and he can play the three, which he'll have to do in Toronto. He's similar to a Lamar Odom without the PG skills. As questionable as this pick was, it isn't a Rafael Araujo.

I know centers are at a premium in the East and Magloire is an all-star in this conference, but he's not worth all this manuevering. Should just have made a beneficial draft pick for a franchise clearly in rebuilding mode.
    Last edited by Gooch; 04 Jul 2005 at 02:04 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Gooch
    I know there's the rumored a sign and trade with the Wizards involving Sweetney for Kwame Brown, but even Kwame wouldn't be stupid enough to go to NY, would he? He needs to go to a low profile franchise like Atlanta where he won't get slammed in the media on a daily basis. Man, did Mike ruin that kid or what? He has a higher ceiling than Jermaine O'Neal but will we ever see it?
    I dunno, and I know Jordan's a jerk, but I think Kwame has to shoulder his share of the blame for how he turned out. Skipping playoff practices because you're ticked off about playing time is pretty wack. If he's smart he'll pass on the Knicks, and if the Knicks are smart they'll pass on him.

Which is why he'll probably be a Knick.

Villaneuava was a reach but not on talent. There's no doubt he's a top 10 talent and he can play the three, which he'll have to do in Toronto. He's similar to a Lamar Odom without the PG skills. As questionable as this pick was, it isn't a Rafael Araujo.
    The thing is, they want and need him to play center. The Raptors already have like 5 small forwards, not the least of which being Jalen "untradeable contract" Rose and the other guy they just drafted who's better suited to the position, Joey Graham.

Babcock and Mitchell have been trying to sell Villanueva by saying "nobody complains about not having a true center when Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess are on the floor together." I really hope they're joking.

I know centers are at a premium in the East and Magloire is an all-star in this conference, but he's not worth all this manuevering. Should just have made a beneficial draft pick for a franchise clearly in rebuilding mode.
    Yep, although I will say there really wasn't anyone on the board at #7 who could have helped them alot more. Channing Frye is not the answer at center, and the other guys - Granger, Green - they were still there at #16.

Magloire would help them recover from the pr suicide they've been committing for the last year, and would basically be the first legit starting center in franchise history. Unless you count Oliver "hey, hey, hey!" Miller and a mummified Hakeem Olajuwon. Given the franchise's long and painful history with trying to get a C, it'd be worth it just to not waste any more draft picks or make more dumb signings overpaying free agents trying to fill the eternal hole in the middle.
    -Kyo