Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant Robo coming to DVD!

1. Giant Robo coming to DVD!

Media Blasters has the rights to it now, Manga held it before. Which means there's some good and bad; bad: new dub. The Manga dub was good, hate the thought of getting rid of Ivan's VO's complete over-the-top performance. "VHAAAAAAT?! Giant chROOOOBOOOOO?!"

But good: it'll actually be released, and in a timely fashion.

DVD Features:
    Notes: This release contains previously unreleased footage.

Region 1
    Keep Case
    Full Frame - 1.33
    Audio:
    ---Dolby Digital 5.1 - Japanese, English
    ---Subtitles - English - Optional
    Additional Release Material:
    ---Interviews - 1. Production Staff
    ---Additional Footage - 1. Warsaw Philharmonic Performance
    --- 2. Omake episode
    ---Audio Commentary
    ---Trailers - 1. TV Spots
    --- 2. International trailer
    Text/Photo Galleries:
    ---Character list
    Additional Product:
    ---Very special collector's box

Release Info:
    --Collector's Set with Robot Box
    --Color Film
    --Year Released: 1995
    --RunTime: 90 Min.
    --Dubbed in English
    --Subtitled in English
    --Release Language: Japanese
    --Original Language: Japanese
    The collectors' box:

Too cool.

Looks like 2 45-minute episodes per DVD from the running time. So 3 DVDs all said and done. Nice.

2. Well, each episode varies in length, I believe, with the later ones being quite a bit longer.

Since there are seven episodes, the third DVD will probably have three, if I had to guess.

! Omake episode! I was wondering how they were going to handle the ginrei episodes, seems like it'll be one per disc, since there is three total.

What's the source of this information, by the way?

3. Quote Originally Posted by alan_fatima
    Well, each episode varies in length, I believe, with the later ones being quite a bit longer.

Since there are seven episodes, the third DVD will probably have three, if I had to guess.
    Ah, I didn't know about the episode running time variance and had the wrong episode count, my guess for # of volumes was just a guess. I never saw or bought them all, they were pretty hard to come by on VHS.
    What's the source of this information, by the way?
    Well, someone on the Gaming Age forums posted it, but it's legitimate. First volume comes out late in the month.

Regular edition
    Deluxe edition w/ box

Damn, that box rocks but that's way too pricey. Oh well, wouldn't have fit on the shelf very well anyway.

4. Ah, I didn't know about the episode running time variance and had the wrong episode count, my guess for # of volumes was just a guess. I never saw or bought them all, they were pretty hard to come by on VHS.
    Yeah, I watched them while they were on sputnik7.com. Awesome series. I hope that info is true, reason I asked is because I've been doing regular searches at the animeondvd.com forums, which seem to be pretty knowledgeable, but even they didn't know any details about how the ginrei episodes were being handled.

If this is true, though, they definitely did a good job of things, though.

5. I loved this series. I had seen them all on VHS back in the day and my Friend recently got me the kickass Korean DVD releases. I may have to get this one too.

6. This is great news!

I just love the character and mecha design in this series. Its so awesome and retro.

7. This is great news, but would it hurt for them to just release the whole thing at once for 40-50 bucks, instead of spacing out three or so dvd's at 25 bucks a piece?

I hate how anime's are released, it's such a money grabbing tactic.

If I can get 28 episodes of the Batman animated series for 40 bucks, there should be no reason why I can't get Giant Robo for the same price.

I really wish these companies would realize this.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

8. A lot of times it's not the Publisher's choice. Many times there are licensing agreements that state the American Publisher must release the show with a certain amount of volumes.

9. A lot of times it's not the Publisher's choice. Many times there are licensing agreements that state the American Publisher must release the show with a certain amount of volumes.
    Yeah, our prices are already undercutting the (either by lower price or more eps per volume, or both) Japanese releases by a lot, so they're understandably wary of the effects of Japanese fans importing American releases.

$20-$25 for > 90 minutes a volume ain't too shabby. Yeah, your suggestion would be best, but things have changed very much for the better in the past few years.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    Yeah, our prices are already undercutting the (either by lower price or more eps per volume, or both) Japanese releases by a lot, so they're understandably wary of the effects of Japanese fans importing American releases.
    I figure they'd be more worried about the American's just supporting the bootlegs. The ones I've seen now even have the dubs ripped off of them =/
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)