Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your motifs/resources/means of inspiration

1. Tibor is an amazing designer. I had him quoted in my sig a couple of months ago. He makes things people talk about (bad or good) and tries to use our natural act of talking on disaster more frequently than triumph to his advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

2. www.newgrounds.com

I decided that the folks that head this quaint lil' site needed some much deserved respect.

I few month's ago when I was neighboring the site quite often, Tom and his crew would always drop news on how close they were to releasing one of their popular flash games (Alien Hominid) into a complete console experience. To which I would silently scoff, "Yeah, Whatevauh!"

But just yesterday, while(accidentally, I swear!) watching Pulse on G4TechTv, amiss a few lame attempts at charisma that they must call 'journalism', my ear stop ringing long enough hear to the potential release date for a certain, independently made Gamecube title named Alien Hominid. I actually gasped.

I could only image what sort of wires that those guys had to cross over in order to achieve such an opportunity, but there it was, and I couldn't deny it. True dedication for your goals. They stated for months that they would deliver, and they did.
    In fact, click here to play the original flash so you'll know what to look forward to.

My respect for them had grown, apparently, and with the next opportunity, I'll scope out their little villa on the internet once more(these labs don't make for proper flash viewing). So I figure I'd add them to my list of the inspirer’s.

3. I usually just look at early modern art for inspiration on compositions, color arrangements, motifs, etc. Kandinsky is very helpful for me, and to a lesser extent Picasso, Cezanne, Gaugin, and so on. I'm jumping on a bandwagon, but it actually helps me so I guess it's fine...

4. Recently I bought this book :
    http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/cata...acts/03822.htm

It's probably the most exhilirating book I have ever owned. I bought it on the spot.
    I'm slowly beginning to see specifically what I want to express in my art, how I will go about doing that is another thing.
    It's both exciting and paralyzing at the same time!

5. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki
    I smoke a cigar then I draw the first thing I think about. That's art, right there.
    Vaguely along the same lines...

I've never tried to paint or sketch while intoxicated, but once I got piss drunk and tried to write a novel. A few days later I went back and looked at it. It turned out pretty badly, no where near F&L in LV or even Robert Hamburger for that matter...
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. I'm writing scripts for 2 movies (one is dark and pretty arty, mainly a vehicle for the camera work, the other is a comedy with subtle humour, sorta like a Wes Anderson flick), planning another with a friend (fun horror), composing music on the pute for both films as well as for fun, and I'm also working on stuff for a band a friend and I are starting (its pretty hard to plan out full songs with only a bass, but its happening).

A huge inspiration is Wes Anderson, who makes incredible movies that celebrate human flaw. Everything in his films are amazing, from the script, to the cinematography, to the music. The sequence where richie tennenbaum attempts suicide is the most amazing piece of film I've ever seen.

Music is a toughy, I can't really pin point any major inspirations. Apart from family, Its probably the single most important thing in my life. I don't think I can describe why without coming off as an absolute wanker. The band music I'm working on is kinda hard indie rock. Imagine a mix between Tool, A Perfect Circle, and serious pavement. I don't know if the songs will sound similar enough, but I'm really proud of how they're coming out. I'm bursting with anticipation for when I get these recorded in some way.

a major motivation is that I can't stand my boring as shit job, and I can't see myself enjoying life without doing something creative. If I could do something creative professionally, I'd be set. A career job would basically be procrastinated suicide.

7. Sweat

Well, here's the production rate on my end.

Drawing has been halted. For now, I'll just make room for tiny exercises, which means drawing from photos of myself and landscapes. It seems like a step that I should have taking by now.

Writting will hopefully take a mighty leap forward thanks to a gig that I've welcomed myself to. It will start with writting reveiws and will hopefully spring from there. Even though next semester dosen't start for another few weeks, I'm feeling the axiety(sp) of not perfoming up to my expectations for some odd reason. But I won't LJ the boards up with my brooding. You guys are too good for that.

I'm having trouble centering my thoughts for some reason. :/

This is quite a lame post, and will be update.

---
    *Update* or...

*The Dramatic Conclusion*

Right, well it's late but I'm going to try and rationalize this.
    I think I can account my lack of viger or artistic interest at this point is becasue I'm currently lacking in any immediate inspirations. The well has run dry, so to speak... which is a hell of a paradox for someone that that starts up a 'list your creative influncers'(sp) sort of topic. It feel as though I'm worried about branching off to do my own thing, and I am constantly seeking solice in others work, finding comfort in what they themselves are expressing that I'm too meek to say(and for the record I'm not just talking about furry art, folks. Just for the record...). Lurking about and searching the web for inspirational parties on the art field has finally come up furitless. Trying to find some special secrect to commercial security is tiresome.

I need to bit the bullet and face my own fears; a blank sheet of paper and quiet room. It's high time I see where all this pent-up brooding is going to lead me, and not try to resolve my feelings through some faceless shadow on the internet.

Soooo, in closing, I guess my current means of inspration will have to my own underling desire to do something that is worth a danm, using my own thoughts and tools at my disposal. Personal growth, or some shit.

There's clearly too much thought going into all this, and to top things off I'm sweepy.
    Indirectly, I'll thank Arjue(don't look surprised. You didn't really do anything )for at least getting me active on the forums, but at most for having so much on his plate(2 effien scripts, for films, that your doing NOW!?) and telling how impressed he is with have such projects.
    Or at leats thats what I pulled from it.
    Like I said it's late.
    Last edited by RyChus; 13 Dec 2004 at 03:10 AM.