Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nintendo Power Comics

1. ;w; Thank you for pointing that site out Johnny Undaunted. I used to love the Howard and Nester strips. Too bad the Megaman 2 strip, my first issue, hasn't been scanned. *sigh...*

Kaneda- The hardcover Mario comic collection and the Nintendo Power Super Mario World comics were two different things.
    I foget who published them (Valiant?), but the hard-cover book is still pretty neat for nostalgia and the comics aren't bad. The Nintendo Power comics were released in a compilation after they completed their NP run, but I'm pretty sure it was soft cover.

2. Originally posted by Chojin
    Yo Johnny Undaunted, you forgot to mention Nintendo Power's last included comic series which was just a cheap self made Pokemon comic(The took screen caps from the key scenes in the episodes and put in word bubbles to make them look like a comic). Perhaps it is a good thing NP stopped including comics if they got that lazy with them.
    Yes, I knew about about the Pokemon Anime Comics that were featured in Nintendo Power, but cel-based Anime Comics (which are extremely common in Japan) shouldn't be considered as actual comics, no matter what you call them. I remember Viz released anime comics based on Dirty Pair and Gundam 0083 (the latter which was released several years before the actual series was translated into English) long ago.

Valiant released a lineup of Nintendo-based comics called the Nintendo Comic System a long time ago. They released comics based on Super Mario Bros., Captain N, Zelda, Punch-Out, Game Boy and Metroid. Most of them were reprinted in Valiant's Best of Nintendo Comic System tradepaperback. They were kinda bad actually (Valiant Comics were never that great to begin with), but still worth tracking just for collector's purposes.

There are actually quite a few game-based comics in Japan, especially based on Nintendo-property such as Super Mario Bros., Zelda no Densetsu and Fire Emblem just to name a few. Most of them were published by Wonderlife Game Comics, a division of Shogakukan that specializes in gaming manga and guides (the Kunio-kun Hyakka guide that I have was published by them). They even published the Japanese-translated version of the Super Mario Adventures and A Link to the Past graphic novels.