Page 1 of 33 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Games now are better than ever

1. Games now are better than ever

Back when I was a kid, I was hoping a game would come out that would let me go anywhere, do anything, see stuff, randomly, without a time limit. Kinda like GTA3.

And then, I was hoping that games would come out that would let me play multiplayer against other people far away.

Now we got that, and a whole lot more. Games are more immersive, atmospheric, interesting, have a whole shitload more content, appeal to a much wider range of audiences, and more replay value than ever... and they cost less.

I spent $40 on Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne and Ive already played it more than probably my entire SNES library (40 games). And I bet all of you can find at least one game that has come out in the past 5 years that you can say that about. if not more than one (I could also say it about TFC and CS).

Why people feel the need to go back to the days of 16-bit, filled with games that all looked the same, played pretty much the same, catered to the same audience (of little kids), and had absolutely zero replay value, I have no idea. So anyone who wants these stupid games from the past is wrong, in short.

edit: I made the topic before I wrote anything ^__^, but here it is
    Last edited by diffusionx; 18 Oct 2004 at 06:57 PM.

2. Well, that's like your opinion, man.

3. diff, thanks for sharing.. i've never seen this side of you before..

It depends on the genre. They don't make 2d games as good as Yoshi's Island or Shinobi 3 anymore but instead we have amazing games that weren't possible back then like Deus Ex and GTA3. Overall, I'm very happy with the current state of gaming. While I fully believe that gaming's past is full of gems worth playing today, current gaming continues to impress and explore new ideas.

5. Games like Yoshi's Island are probably well worth playing. But even the 2D games on GameBoy, the new ones that is, dont come close to Yoshi. It seems like people on TNL are happy with marginal, 6/10 or 7/10 games as long as they are 2D.

This is nonsense.

6. Games from back in the day are terrible compared to the stuff that's out these days. I haven't bought or played as much back then as I do now, literally maybe 100 times as much now, its just that much fun. I love being in a public area or transport and hearing people say how some odd 16-bit game is better than Halo or PGR2. Excuse me, you're wrong. It's 2004, so sinking your hooks into nostalgic games isn't cool anymore.

7. I think Neo summed it up with his posts. But diffX is right, people are far too fanatical about the way they talk about such and such a genre.

But there's no denying that games like Mario 3, Battletoads are awesome. Even some old racers hold a soft spot for me (Rock'n Roll racing).
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. I played Rock N Roll Racing via emulation a year or two ago.

It was shit.

9. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Games like Yoshi's Island are probably well worth playing. But even the 2D games on GameBoy, the new ones that is, dont come close to Yoshi. It seems like people on TNL are happy with marginal, 6/10 or 7/10 games as long as they are 2D.

This is nonsense.

I can't speak for everyone, but the reason I sold my Xbox and PS2 has more to do with the fact that I can't find enough time to sit down and play these great huge games. I'm just going to buy another SNES and Genny and buy 5 games for 25 dollars instead of one [used]. The only games I play anymore are BF42 on PC and whatever game from the 16/8 bit gen I've got goin. It isn't so much I think the games are better, I just enjoy having the ability ot play through the game in one sitting and have a beetr with it. 70 hours is just too much for some people. That, and you can't beat the price. I still love Tony Hawk, Madden, NFL, stuff I can pick up and play then throw down when I'm done with, but GTA and RPGish games lose me too much these days. Chalk it up to too much real life and not enough gaming
    Quote Originally Posted by remnant
    I live in the fastlane bitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Thats how we roll, ride or die bitch.

10. Well how about this hot shot?

What beat-em-up can I get now that is better than the Streets of Rage games?