Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My computer likes to restart and shut down by itself for no reason.

1. Yes, go AMD 64!!!
    The boards for them are about the same price as the P4 ones too, except the range is smaller.

2. Quote Originally Posted by burky
    Yes, go AMD 64!!!
    The boards for them are about the same price as the P4 ones too, except the range is smaller.
    A motherboard/Althon 64 2800 combo at pricewatch is $202, not too shabby.

Will I have any issues regard my current hardware, specifically RAM? I heard Opterons require a specific kind for example.

3. What kind of Ram do you have? If it's 2700 or 3200 DDR RAM, you'd be fine with a current Athlon XP compatible motherboard.
    Never under any circumstance scrutinize the mastication orifice of a gratuitous herbivorous quadruped.

4. IWILL, MSI, ASUS, amd Gigabyte are excellent boards. Never had any problems with them in the past, EVER. Well, ASUS messed up once and I exchanged the board and everything was fine.
    Macbook Pro 15" Unibody | Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HDD | Mac OS X (Snow Leopard)
    Sprint Touch Pro 2 | iPhone 3GS 32GB | iPad 32GB

visit louie tran spot! a blog for geeks by a geek

5. If you're going AMD 64, you want at least 1 gig of ram or you'll be bottlenecking it.
    You might want to consider the AMD 64 3000, as it would only be about $20~30 more for that, and you get close to 200mhz there; good value. An AMD 3000 runs at 2167mhz, so that is not too much of a gain on your old processor.

Also you would be wanting a graphics card to the quality of ATI 9800pro or nVidia 6600, or you will be bottlenecking it on the gaming.
    I have a nvidia 5200 right now, with an XP3000+ and that thing plays doom 3 jerkily.

I was also going to upgrade, but in order to not bottleneck at all, the total cost of the upgrade turned out to be around $750 or so, so I decided not to bother. It will be chaper in the US though, maybe $600 to do a really good job.

6. You running XP? XP is set to automatically restart after a major failure. If you're plugging shit in and restarting, restarting for no good reason, having startup problems, I'd take a look at the proc first.

7. In my case, it wasn't just XP which messed up. I ran a dual boot at that time with Win 98 SE, and that too messed up.

8. Woooo. I'm back online reformatted with a new motherboard. I went with a Gigabyte motherboard. All my problems are gone.