Page 1 of 28 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to buy a metal album

1. I want to buy a metal album

Okay dudes, here's the deal. I want to buy a metal album. ONE metal album. I want to do it to see if all the stuff you talk about how great metal is is correct. I have not listened to much metal in my life, so I am content to admit I am ignorant on the topic (unlike regarding, say, videogames, since Ive been playing videogames my entire life and know everything).

Help me out. Tell me about the ONE album I should buy. The one album that will make me enjoy and see the worth in metal. I realize that there are probably many albums you guys think I should listen to as a "new" metal guy. But Im not a new metal guy. I want to be won over.

This may be unfair to metal fans and it may be harsh to metal music in general. But I dont care. Im sure you guys, in your infinite wisdom, can recommend a really great, modern-sounding metal album that I can enjoy and possibly get more into it.

Okay, hmm... really the only metal Ive listened to and enjoyed was Opeth. So you can use that to think of something. And I like music with a lot of emotion and power. Thats why I like the blues so much.

Help me out!

of course, if I buy the album (and I will buy one) and hate it, I reserve the right to call you guys retards and I can continue to make fun of metal.

2. Well the right to call people retards is wrong.. the right to say it sucks is 100% accurate, and I may follow in your footsteps. I have yet to be impressed by metal.

3. I think what you really want is to stir up a bunch of shit like you did by starting that god awful "Games now are better than ever" thread - drama queen.

Modern sounding? I don't know what you mean by that. I recommend Megadeth's Rust in Peace. It's what converted me 14 or so years ago. I haven't bought the recent remixed/remastered version yet though so my opinion is based on the original.

5. this is never going to work.

That doesn't mean I'm not going to try, but still... you can't just dive into metal like this and expect instant gratification (I know I didn't).

I'll be back with more, later...

So it's an acquired taste??
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    I think what you really want is to stir up a bunch of shit like you did by starting that god awful "Games now are better than ever" thread - drama queen.
    No, I want to hear a really great metal record that makes me say, "metal aint that bad, in fact, its pretty cool!"

Really, this is a compromise Im making with FirstBlood (from the haohmaru thread in FC). You big metal fans recommend a metal album to a non-metal fan and Ill buy it, and listen to it open-minded. Seems reasonable to me.

If its not reasonable, and metal is all about this little fucking inbred exclusive club where you have to listen to a thousand albums from one hundred subgenres of metal before you can really appreciate it, then fuck it. But I dont think thats the case.

Modern sounding? I don't know what you mean by that. I recommend Megadeth's Rust in Peace. It's what converted me 14 or so years ago. I haven't bought the recent remixed/remastered version yet though so my opinion is based on the original.
    Yea... I dont want anything lame, like 1980s-style speed metal or some shit.

this is never going to work.

That doesn't mean I'm not going to try, but still... you can't just dive into metal like this and expect instant gratification (I know I didn't).

I'll be back with more, later...
    Try. There has to be something. Remember what I told you, about how I love huge, epic-sounding, varied, explosive-type albums? Keep that in mind.

8. Yes, I was already well aware that you like Opeth (which is a good thing if you want to listen to my recommendation).

also, one question.

High pitched vocals - Hate em? Bearable? Only if done well?

9. Generally speaking, I dont like high pitched vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Yea... I dont want anything lame, like 1980s-style speed metal or some shit.
    Your mind is already made up then? I thought the whole point of this is to take a recommendation and give metal a chance? What I recommended is '80s(well 1990) speed metal but that shouldn't deter you. You might like their later stuff more since it's more mainstream and accessible to non-metal fans but I don't think that stuff is as good.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 20 Oct 2004 at 07:35 PM.