Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Commodore 64 Direct-to-TV

1. My C64 STILL WORKED until it was crushed a few years ago. An interesting parrallel when considered alongside this thread

But tell me, where is Chucky Egg II in this C64-TV thing?

2. I thought this was pretty cool:

Tricked out C-64 1541 disk drive

3. Quote Originally Posted by Agent X
    The Commodore 64 actually has 64 KB of RAM, as well as 20 KB of ROM.

Yeah did a google, my memory (pun not intended) failed me.

It was ~40K that was only accesable from Basic.

Now I cant remember what system used to use RAM+ROM to list as thier "memory"

Quote Originally Posted by toxic
    I thought this was pretty cool:

Tricked out C-64 1541 disk drive
    I love how you use the floppy slot to insert a CD.

This would rule for a Pc/C64 link for hard drive use on a c64..
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

4. Quote Originally Posted by OmegaFlareX

Was the C128 backwards compatible with the C64 games? I remember my C64 looking pretty nice on that 1702 monitor I had (s-video), but RGB would be even better.
    All you needed to do, was type: go 64 and the C-128 would go into C-64 mode.

5. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    All you needed to do, was type: go 64 and the C-128 would go into C-64 mode.
    Or hold the commodore key down while booting the system.

RGB mode only worked in 128 mode, however... thats why the monitors have switchable inputs, to work with all the modes of the system.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

6. I think developers got more colours on screen from the C64 by alternating colours every second frame, thus mixing the two colours.

The newer version of C64 had 128k of RAM, I think, but it was rarely used for commercial applications. Obviously - why would anyone want to release something that leaves out owners of the old C64.

As far as I know, S-Video is the best you could get from the C64. It'd be nice if it could be got from this new thing.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    I think developers got more colours on screen from the C64 by alternating colours every second frame, thus mixing the two colours.
    Heart of Africa, seemed to use this as well. In some of the static screens, you'd see colors like gold, though that wasn't in the C-64 color pallete.

The newer version of C64 had 128k of RAM, I think, but it was rarely used for commercial applications. Obviously - why would anyone want to release something that leaves out owners of the old C64.
    That would be the C-128. It was a stand alone computer from the C-64, but it contained an emulator of it. The C-128 also used 3.5" floppys, as opposed to the 5 1/4" used by the C-64.

I'm really surprised the system didn't fare better. I knew several people that had one, but the C-64 community was so large, that most publishers didn't want to leave that cash cow.

8. The 128 suffered from "lowest common denominator" syndrome... Why program for the limited market 128 when you could program for the 64 and still get 128 users to buy your games?

Sound like anything we know today?

BTW, the 128 shipped first with the 1571 a dual sided 5.25 drive.. the 64's 1541 was only single sided.

The 1581 3.5 drive came a year or two later...

9. Holy shit! This is bad ass. Worth it alone just for impossible mission and ESPECIALLY paradroid. I remember I had a pirated copy of paradroid as a kid, didn't know what the hell I was doing, but didn't care! I had so much fun anyway!
    You don't have to be smart; you don't have to know the facts, you just have to be confident.

http://gamercards.exophase.com/37676.png

10. Unfortunately I don't think they're going to release "Party Girls" for this one. What a revolutionary game......