Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for improving the TNL forums

1. Suggestions for improving the TNL forums

alright.. i think it's about the right time for this.

There are a lot of great things about TNL - it's on a reasonably fast server, mostly-interesting headlines and reviews, and an extremely intelligent forum community base.

However, there are certain things that I feel drag it down... this mainly stems from the forum.

i'll get right to the point now - i'd like to recommend some kind of rating or moderating system for all the users in the forums.. something similar to what slashdot has, perhaps.

if somebody makes a snide remark or an obvious troll, or anything else that most others would find extremely annoying, why not just avoid the ensuing flame-war by giving that post the appropriate rating? It would at least help offset the possibility of a meaningless flame-war in a thread.

IMO, we've got to implement some kind of system that rewards the great posters and puts the trolls in their place.
    Honestly, what's the use of banning someone for a little while when they're back before you know it, and more annoying than ever?
    You can ban a troll countless times - they'll always come back, and nothing will be gained, nothing learned.

please give this a bit of thought... constructive criticism, as always, is welcome, as well as any other ideas for improving TNL.
    Last edited by johnk_; 03 Nov 2004 at 08:24 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by johnk_
    i'll get right to the point now - i'd like to recommend some kind of rating or moderating system for all the users in the forums..
    see the little exclamation point below my post? click it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by epmode
    see the little exclamation point below my post? click it.
    What he was referring to was a point-based system, something visible, that users could check, like GameFAQ's' Karma or GFF's Rating system. The "Report Post" feature is only to, well, report. He's asking for something concrete that we can see at anytime. Like a TNL report card.

Not a bad idea btw, it would just be hard to find a system to base it off of, like how do you gain/lose points and etc.

4. There's a reputation system builtin to vBulletin, but frankly it sucks and there's no real way to avoid people abusing it.

5. what would the consequences be for having a low rating? i don't get it, all one has to do is read a post to know if it's trolling, i dont need a report card to tell me that. Everyone knows who the trolls are anyway, so if you're that upset about it there's always ignore.

Personally I dont think TNL has much of a problem right now.

6. Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    what would the consequences be for having a low rating?.
    Well, I guess we could use the Trade Depot as a good example, but to a lesser extent. If you get a low rating, users will most likely think less of you, or in the case of the Trade Depot, cross your merchandise less often. It would suck if this system would implement restrictions, like posting in different places, like GameFAQ's.

7. We could do custom status's like GAF, to warn Nintendo fans not to go near diffx.

8. I actually had the idea of a probational period for new members.

Basically, for the first three months of their membership they can be permabanned if the veterains are sick of them and vote on it. It protects the boards from members we don't want here, while at the same time allowing anyone that passes the three months to help shape the boards in the future.

Just a thought.

9. cka, that exclamation point thingy at the bottom of each post is fine, but i can honestly only see myself using it in extreme circumstances...
    at least, that's what it seems like it's meant for.
    and even if I use that, what are the consequences for the abuser?
    we need something a bit more tangible.

Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    what would the consequences be for having a low rating? i don't get it, all one has to do is read a post to know if it's trolling, i dont need a report card to tell me that. Everyone knows who the trolls are anyway, so if you're that upset about it there's always ignore.

Personally I dont think TNL has much of a problem right now.
    well, of course, my idea isn't really fleshed out completely yet - i just wanted to bring it up so we could talk about it and maybe get some new ideas..

there could be tons of possible consequences for having a low rating.. one possibility is getting automatically perma-banned if you go low enough... another is having everyone vote on whether to ban you if you get low enough..
    these are rudimentary ideas and of course, have their drawbacks as well i'm sure..
    ultimately it's up to the mods to decide, but i'd like to see something done.

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque
    I actually had the idea of a probational period for new members.

Basically, for the first three months of their membership they can be permabanned if the veterains are sick of them and vote on it. It protects the boards from members we don't want here, while at the same time allowing anyone that passes the three months to help shape the boards in the future.

Just a thought.
    yea, see, that's also a pretty decent idea..
    I think more "cause and effect" systems would benefit TNL.. it would help balance things out.
    Last edited by johnk_; 04 Nov 2004 at 02:33 AM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by johnk_
    alright.. i think it's about the right time for this.

There are a lot of great things about TNL - it's on a reasonably fast server, mostly-interesting headlines and reviews, and an extremely intelligent forum community base.

However, there are certain things that I feel drag it down... this mainly stems from the forum.

i'll get right to the point now - i'd like to recommend some kind of rating or moderating system for all the users in the forums.. something similar to what slashdot has, perhaps.

if somebody makes a snide remark or an obvious troll, or anything else that most others would find extremely annoying, why not just avoid the ensuing flame-war by giving that post the appropriate rating? It would at least help offset the possibility of a meaningless flame-war in a thread.

IMO, we've got to implement some kind of system that rewards the great posters and puts the trolls in their place.
    Honestly, what's the use of banning someone for a little while when they're back before you know it, and more annoying than ever?
    You can ban a troll countless times - they'll always come back, and nothing will be gained, nothing learned.

please give this a bit of thought... constructive criticism, as always, is welcome, as well as any other ideas for improving TNL.

The TNL Forums don't move fast enough to warrant some type of Slashdot-style post rating system.

My suggestion is to just permaban posters like diffx. The reason bannings are worthless is because they're always temporary. For fuck's sake, the guy averages almost eleven posts per day and has already been banned multiple times, yet he still breaks the rules and generally acts like an idiot in every other post he makes.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, even diffx, but if he can't express it without being a complete jackass, just get rid of him.

Also, Opaque's suggestion would just make TNL a more closed off and elitist community than it already is. I can understand his frustration with newbies though.
    Last edited by Mamoscott; 04 Nov 2004 at 09:35 AM.