Page 1 of 20 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: The Incredibles

1. The Incredibles

Well I can say without a doubt that I've never been a fan of Disney movies. Be it whatever reason, they just have never pulled me in. It doesn't have to do with the whole "internet nerd" thing where they hate Disney for ruining classic stories, nor is it the problem with all the fluffy animals finding happiness in musical montages. It's always been about character developement and the big D has never been able to pull it off for me.

HOWEVER...

This is a PIXAR flick based on Superheroes. Walking into the movie I thought it would be another "family comedy" built around superheroes, and in some aspects it is. But finally someone has been able to do justice to the idea of a "cg/cartoon" superhero premise. The little things in this flick help out as a whole to establish the fact that these characters(for the most part) regret having to live as "normal" people.

A perfect example would be the titular character himself, "Mr Incredible". Forced into retirement by the public, he hates his life. Working a mundane job with an overbearing boss, only to come home and deal with everyday life. You can actually see his character yearn for the old days(one scene involves Mr I and FroZone(played by Sam Jackson) sitting in a car listening to a police scanner...while the wives think they are out doing the "wednesday night bowling" gig.

Violet(the daughter) is a very introverted, very low tone voice, unsure of herself type of character. Angry that her parents won't let her be "normal" by living her life with her superpowers, too shy to even talk to boys at her school, and full of self doubt. But slowly through the movie you notice things changing in her mannerisms, how she acts, and reacts to situations in both normal and extraordinary (using her superpowers and in everyday life) that shows this character over the course of a two hour movie has actually matured.

And when Mr Incredible finally finds a way to start freelancing as a superhero again, the movie hits it's stride. It's all 100% badass action/comedy/action/drama/action from there on out. The scenes themselves are perfectly cut and edited...actually ADDING to the movie instead of detracting from it. Chase scenes are done in a fashion that you actually DON'T blink due to the speed of the scene and how it's cut(ala Ronin's car chase).

Not to mention the countless different ways you as the viewer get to see how superheroes can use their powers. Given the situations these characters find themselves in, the creators of the movie conjured up ways for a character with only one ability to actually improvise using the surroundings to their benefit(while also consistently wowing the audience instead of adding monotony).

I can't reccomend this flick enough. I hate Disney movies in general, I hate cg cartoon movies in general, and I sure as hell wasn't expecting to walk out of this movie in the giddy geeked out jovial mood that I'm in. I'll be buying this DAY ONE on dvd, no doubt.

Oh, and Elastigirl? HAAWWT.
    XBL Gamertag = XMrWhitefolksX

2. Awesome review, it seems like another Brad Bird classic. There's already an Incredibles thread, but the movie's probably good enough to warrant a few dozen of them.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

3. well, i figured that a fairly large review should be distanced from the "pre-hype" hubub that goes on in all the other threads leading up to a movie's release. this would be a perfect thread for people who've SEEN the movie to drop their opinions, rather than bumping an old thread.
    XBL Gamertag = XMrWhitefolksX

4. Cool, I will hopefuly see this in a week or so. Definately looking good.

Here is Eberts review of the movie. 3.5 stars and he liked it quite a bit:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...VIEWS/41006004

Jason Lee and Sam Jackson are in it. That's rad.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

6. It's going to rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. I'll see it either Sunday or that week, I refuse to ever see a movie on the weekend again with all the obnoxious fuckers that go in on the weekend.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

8. Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss
    I'll see it either Sunday or that week, I refuse to ever see a movie on the weekend again with all the obnoxious fuckers that go in on the weekend.
    The worst is when you get the sticky floor seat. The seat is fine and in some theatres comfy, but when you lift your feet it sounds like velcro or something. Easily the worst seat you can get aside from one in the front row.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

9. Pixar has never failed to impress me. I plan on seeing it tonight.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    The worst is when you get the sticky floor seat. The seat is fine and in some theatres comfy, but when you lift your feet it sounds like velcro or something. Easily the worst seat you can get aside from one in the front row.
    lol I know, it feels like you're glued to the floor, and then you have a hell of a time moving on the carpet once you make it out.

I'd love to see it tonight, but I can't really deal with the... "urban" crowd who shriek and holler throughout every new movie, and who gotta laugh and point out every joke. "OH MY GOD NIGGA I CANT BELIEVE THA SHIT HAPPENED HAW HAW".

It was real great seeing Return of the King in the theaters, and hearing "DAMN THAT NIGGA LEGOLAS, SHOOT HIM WIT CHO ARROWS DAWG".

Then they start calling up their friends on the cell phone, it really sucks ass.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)