Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Animation schools?

1. Animation schools?

Hi, i'm new here by the way.

Anyway, i was wondering... Are there any animation schools out there in England? Preferbly in the Manchester / Greater Manchester region? Because i'm 15, and i know animating is what i want to do for my job. The only problem is in collage they don't do animation. So i'm going to have to take art and design or something. But when i leave, i would really like to study animation, but i haven't the slighest clue if that's even possible.

Are there any universities out there that let you major in it? If not, are there any special animation schools that i could possibly attend? Right now i'm self taught, i mainly refere to The Animator's Survival Kit and websites, that's about it. I feel i need to actually get taught in it, do projects etc. Get my animating juices flowing.

Please don't tell me that i'm only 15 so why am i asking now. I'm asking now because i just feel i need to know.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

- Adam.

2. There's like a bazillion in Toronto.

Sheridan is duelly noted for being scouted by Disney at one point in its existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    There's like a bazillion in Toronto.
    I don't think that's very close to England.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

4. I really couldnt tell you anything about what places are in england

if you decide to come across the pond for school then go to Cal Arts
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

5. I can't reccomend anything in England. The only places I know are relatively close (in California and such). hmmm...I don't know how animation works, but the magazine CMYK shows works from students in illustration and design, as well as the schools they come from. It might be a good place to check and if anything, a good way to see what other students from other schools are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

6. University of the Arts, here in Philly, which I go to. Also, a lot closer to England than the schools out in Cali, though Cal Arts probably kicks UArts ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss
    I don't think that's very close to England.
    *claps* good for you!
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. Klonoa, Cal Arts has produced some great talent, including folks who would later work on the Simpsons.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

9. Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Klonoa, Cal Arts has produced some great talent, including folks who would later work on the Simpsons.

including folks who would later work on fucking everything

anyway the reason I suggest Cal Arts isnt because its any better than most the other schools out there in what itll teach you, (in fact I'm dissapointed by alot of Cal Arts thesis projects but anyway thats neither here nor there)

its the simple fact that no other school has more contacts in the industry than Cal Arts and I can tell you right now that's more important than how good of an animator you are
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv
    its the simple fact that no other school has more contacts in the industry than Cal Arts and I can tell you right now that's more important than how good of an animator you are
    This is true for every industry. It's easier to know someone as your in than having talent.