Page 6 of 643 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: Official World of Warcraft Thread

1. I'm already a level 4 Dwarf Warrior on Elune. Played about 40 minutes. I love how they didn't change to much from stress test but really enhanced a lot of things.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    Pixelassassin picked this game up, so I'll have to give ArThore a look up. I'm going to try and make a Tauron named Buttons.

But I'm busy a lot with school so I'll probably be left behind.
    If I decide to get this it won't be until Monday at the earliest, I'll probably be pretty far behind at that point. I'd join whatever server most folks are on here (I'm going to be an alliance char).

3. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy
    I'd join whatever server most folks are on here (I'm going to be an alliance char).
    This why this is going to be a huge problem playing with people on TNL, I feel.

Once you choose the right server (me and Lobo are on Durotan), then you gotta make sure you choose the right side. Want to be an alliance human paladin, but all your friends are horde? TOO BAD.

Either be Horde, or don't get to talk to your friends (I don't know if eventually you can talk to them, but even so).

So even if you joined the server most of the people are playing on, and you're not whatever the majority of people are, it's kinda pointless =/
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

4. Ok, more impressions:

There's definately alot to explore. I spent hours today just wandering the countryside, finding weapons, doing quests, and just exploring.

The quests seem basic at first (deliver this, kill x amount of monsters), but pretty early on they get more varied.

The people so far seem nice, and the inclusion of a general chat is a MAJOR plus. Everyone in the region can see general chat, and people use it constantly, so if you're stuck on something, just ask in the general chat. Very helpful.

At the merchant, when you go to buy a new piece of armor or weapon, it shows your current weapon stats right next to it when you click the new armor or weapon. Again, very helpful.

The incentive for higher level play is definately there. Right now, the level cap is 60, and you don't even get mounts until level 40. I've also heard already Blizzard is planning special hero classes and quests for those at 60, as well as other surprises.

No loading except at the beginning. I haven't been into an instance yet though, so i'm not sure if there's loading there, but the game has an extremely quick load at the beginning (i'm talking 4 seconds, tops) and thats' it. I've never encountered lag yet, either.

Also, even though there are tons of people playing, the game world NEVER feels crowded. Plus, on unique spawns like named encounters, they respawn very quickly, as in 30 to 60 seconds, so you're not sitting around camping one spawn all day.

Very, very impressed so far.

And oh, for the dance emote, every race does something specific. The Undead throw the metal sign in the air and play some air guitar, and the Orcs do a Michael Jackson moonwalk and a spin
    Plus, when you use the sleep emote, the Undead lay stiff as board and put their hands over their chest, just like they were in a coffin. Lots of personality to the different races.
    Last edited by Roufuss; 25 Nov 2004 at 03:41 PM.

5. Time for some final impressions.

The game feels alot like Diablo 2, except there are just more people at a time and it's set in the Warcraft universe.

Items are colored like in Diablo 2 for rarity, and there is sets of unique armor that, once you put it together, give special bonuses. Enemies are just like in D2 as well, with the regular monsters, and then elites which are powered up versions of the regular guys, and bosses. The general feel of the quests and the adventuring feels very much like Diablo 2 as well.

Getting an uncommon item over a regular item is an awesome feeling, indeed.

Grouping is handled very well, you get less exp per kill while in a group, but you can kill more enemies quicker and tackle on harder enemies like bosses and instances.

Instances are great since some deep dungeons have a portal in them, that take you to an instance where it's only you and your group and the enemy. This way you don't have tons of groups questing for the same boss monsters.
    Instances so far though, are few and far between.

General chat is a great idea, and I'd be surprised if more MMORPG's in the future didn't take it.

The CG intro is also very amazing, and can be found on Blizzard's main site.

Just surprised there was so much hype for this game initially on TNL, and now that it's finally out only 2 other people I know on here have it =/

Edit: Not to mention that Blizzard is reimbursing everyone's time for the day or two the servers were up and down. I've never seen any other company do this in an MMORPG, and this is definately something cool. I was a bit upset I couldn't really play it all on Wednesday, and now Blizzard is crediting me the time back. Works out great for people also whose server has been down for 3 days now =/
    Last edited by Roufuss; 26 Nov 2004 at 09:27 AM.

6. How much is the monthly fee?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss

Just surprised there was so much hype for this game initially on TNL, and now that it's finally out only 2 other people I know on here have it =/

Edit: Not to mention that Blizzard is reimbursing everyone's time for the day or two the servers were up and down. I've never seen any other company do this in an MMORPG, and this is definately something cool. I was a bit upset I couldn't really play it all on Wednesday, and now Blizzard is crediting me the time back. Works out great for people also whose server has been down for 3 days now =/
    Good impressions. And that's awesome of Blizzard to do that.

I'll be getting World of Warcraft, but not until my new desktop PC arrives next week. I will have absolutely no clue what I'm doing (total MMORPG newbie), but I trust in Blizzard and have heard nothing but good things about the game.

WoW could probably run on my laptop without a hitch (1.6 ghz Pentium-m/centrino, 512 megs of ram, 64 meg Ati Radeon mobility), but I'd prefer to keep my work stuff on there and my gaming-related stuff on the desktop if possible.

What kind of systems are people here running it on?

8. Heh, Im pretty sure that Sony reimbursed people upon EverQuest's launch. I think we even got an extra free month.

9. I picked it up this morning and have been playing for the past hour. Coming from SWG, this is a breath of fresh air.

I started a Gnome on Frostwolf, though Im not sure if I'm going to keep her. Typically when I start an MMO, I create a character, play them for a few hours and then restart when I have a better idea how the game works. Right now I'm a warlock and I believe this is the first time since UO.
    Play Guitar Hero //

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mamoscott
    Good impressions. And that's awesome of Blizzard to do that.

I'll be getting World of Warcraft, but not until my new desktop PC arrives next week. I will have absolutely no clue what I'm doing (total MMORPG newbie), but I trust in Blizzard and have heard nothing but good things about the game.
    Nobody really knows what they are doing, everything is pretty much a revamp of the way things used to be done.

But if you've played Diablo 2, and any recent other MMORPG, you can jump into faster.

The monthly fee is 14.99, which is standard for the industry.

Just learned how to cook, mine, and make armor and weapons now. If anyone has played SWG, it works alot like that. You get a plan, you find all the necessary parts, and bam, make an item. Except this time, there's no failures, it's always a success.

Just got to Undercity, and it's fucking AWESOME. Even there, I've never hit lag or slowdown.

Forgot to mention, I've also started fishing as well. Also started doing some quests in groups, and in general, 80% of the people I meet are cool and down to earth. This will probably be the first MMORPG I stay in for the long haul.
    Last edited by Roufuss; 26 Nov 2004 at 04:03 PM.