Page 5 of 643 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Official World of Warcraft Thread

1. So there are separate servers for regular and PvP?... do you need to make a new character to play PvP or can you use the same one?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf
    So there are separate servers for regular and PvP?... do you need to make a new character to play PvP or can you use the same one?
    Yea, you need a new character to play on the PvP servers.

In a way, it's good, because by the time you switch over you'll know alot about what makes the different classes tick and what's effective to go for in a PvP character.

Mostly it seems that right now the servers are just full of people who beta tested the game alot and seem to know what they are doing.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

3. I'm surprised they couldn't work PvP in better then that, I guess there are still really no good PvP in MMORPGs then... I mean it's not that bad but if I we're to put a lot of time into building up my character only to have to invest a lot more time in making another just to play PvP it seems like a lot of extra work and for someone that doesn't have a whole lot of time it sucks

I know a few of the people wanted to play PvP, just curious why you didn't pick a PvP server?... is it that big a difference from the regular ones or are they unbalanced in terms of player skill that if you have no experience in the game already you wouldn't do well on there?

What is the difference between the regular and PvP servers besides the obvious PvP thing?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf
    I'm surprised they couldn't work PvP in better then that, I guess there are still really no good PvP in MMORPGs then... I mean it's not that bad but if I we're to put a lot of time into building up my character only to have to invest a lot more time in making another just to play PvP it seems like a lot of extra work and for someone that doesn't have a whole lot of time it sucks

I know a few of the people wanted to play PvP, just curious why you didn't pick a PvP server?... is it that big a difference from the regular ones or are they completed in terms of player skill that if you have no experience in the game already?

What is the difference between the regular and PvP servers besides the obvious PvP thing?
    I think you misunderstood me... there's PvP in the regular server, but it's more or less consenual (think Star Wars Galaxies), while a PvP server is like Ultima Online in the old days, when everything is fair game and anyone can kill you at any time. Either way, there's a fair bit of PvP on whatever server you choose, it's just higher priority on a PvP server.

We'll say normal servers have passive PvP, while PvP servers have always on always active PvP.

Plus, the classes are so varied and interesting that I honestly wouldn't mind making 2 or 3 or 4.

And the idea behind this is nothing new, the original Everquest had servers with open PvP rules as well. The only reason I didn't start on a PvP server is because I really don't want to watch my back every 2 seconds while I'm learning how to play the game.

The good thing about it is the honor system... do something dishonorable, like taking a high level character into a newbie zone and killing a bunch of level 1's gets you dishonor... and eventually even your own race will hate you, not talk to you, and try to kill you. Apparently it goes down over time.

While getting honor in PvP opens up unique rewards.
    Last edited by Roufuss; 24 Nov 2004 at 10:33 AM.

5. Ah ok, that makes a bit more sense... though it seems a bit much to have split it up like that, I guess they just wanted to try to please both sides

I can see why you wouldn't want to start on a PvP server then, don't need those power levelers that get their characters up insanly fast going around killing lower level less experienced players just for kicks

I guess I will have to see then when you guys post about PvP on the regular server to see how it works.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf
    I can see why you wouldn't want to start on a PvP server then, don't need those power levelers that get their characters up insanly fast going around killing lower level less experienced players just for kicks
    Well that's where the honor system comes in. I'm pretty sure nobody wants to have their own NPC's for their race out to kill them, it basacially means they can't enter ANY town whatsoever until they wait for their honor to restore itself.

It sounds nice on paper, hopefully it will be executed well also.

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf
    I guess I will have to see then when you guys post about PvP on the regular server to see how it works.
    Or you could just look around a bit.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

8. In time, all standard servers will include a consensual Player vs. Player system called Battlegrounds. Once Battlegrounds has been implemented, players will have the ability to attack other players to defend their cities and towns from invasion.

That's pretty awesome though. I know they are also working on being able to let you use other race's steeds somehow too.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss
    Well that's where the honor system comes in. I'm pretty sure nobody wants to have their own NPC's for their race out to kill them, it basacially means they can't enter ANY town whatsoever until they wait for their honor to restore itself.

It sounds nice on paper, hopefully it will be executed well also.
    Yeah that seems like a nice system, hopefully it works well... still would've like to see one type of PvP that worked on all the servers personally, but that's not too bad I guess

10. Pixelassassin picked this game up, so I'll have to give ArThore a look up. I'm going to try and make a Tauron named Buttons.

But I'm busy a lot with school so I'll probably be left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."