Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Playstation 3 Will Cure Cancer

1. Smile Playstation 3 Will Cure Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford
    Since 2000, Folding@Home (FAH) has led to a major jump in the capabilities of molecular simulation. By joining together hundreds of thousands of PCs throughout the world, calculations which were previously considered impossible have now become routine. FAH has targeted the study of of protein folding and protein folding disease, and numerous scientific advances have come from the project.

Now in 2006, we are looking forward to another major advance in capabilities. This advance utilizes the new Cell processor in Sony’s PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) to achieve performance previously only possible on supercomputers. With this new technology (as well as new advances with GPUs), we will likely be able to attain performance on the 100 gigaflop scale per computer. With about 10,000 such machines, we would be able to achieve performance on the petaflop scale. With software from Sony, the PlayStation 3 will now be able to contribute to the Folding@Home project, pushing Folding@Home a major step forward.

Our goal is to apply this new technology to push Folding@Home into a new level of capabilities, applying our simulations to further study of protein folding and related diseases, including Alzheimer’s Disease, Huntington's Disease, and certain forms of cancer. With these computational advances, coupled with new simulation methodologies to harness the new techniques, we will be able to address questions previously considered impossible to tackle computationally, and make even greater impacts on our knowledge of folding and folding related diseases.
    Folding project at Stanford

Basically, when you're not playing, rather than idling your system is performing molecular calculations for these guys, letting them do more than any one supercomputer could.

This is seriously cool. I already have it installed on my PC, and if you're any kind of decent human being you will too, instead of using downtime for yet more pr0n. I hope the other two 1st parties let them build apps for their boxes as well.
    -Kyo

2. Basically.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    Too bad it can't cure being $600 at launch.
    Are you seriously trolling a thread about this? You suck.
    -Kyo

4. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo
    You suck.
    Not as much as the pricing for the PS3!

Seriously, fuck Sony.

I gotta agree. This is the saddest attempt at PR I've ever seen.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

6. I'll agree I'd rather see something like this for a console I own or plan to own. On the other hand, leaving them on for extended periods just doesn't strike me as a good idea. I've already gotten one dead 360, I'd rather not have another. Putting it on PC, on the other hand, isn't a bad idea at all.

James

7. Quote Originally Posted by Revoltor
    I gotta agree. This is the saddest attempt at PR I've ever seen.
    But it's not even PR. Sony hasn't said a word about it, it just appeared on the folding@home website.
    -Kyo

Uh, that's how PR works.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

9. WTF

Quote Originally Posted by Revoltor
    Uh, that's how PR works.
    *snaps*

Okay, seriously, WTF HOW FUCKED UP ARE YOUR PRIORITIES!?

Like, this is the saddest attempt at PR you've ever seen?

"Oh hey, it's only curing cancer and alzheimer's. That's pathetic. Wow, I heard XBLA's getting a completely shitty party poker clone that doesn't involve real money! THAT'S INCREDIBLE!! CAN'T WAIT!! I'M STAYING UP UNTIL 4AM TO DOWNLOAD IT!!!"

The saddest you've ever seen? Here, there's some crucial PR you must've missed:

"Hey, let's watch C-list celebrities play Perfect Dark Zero, and not even show it!"

But hey, you're right, curing cancer is pretty pathetic compared to fucking Frodo. LOL! Sony sucks!

How about the staggeringly awesome Wii PR?

IT'S SO LIFESTYLE

Who cares if you're getting a shitload in the box with PS3, who cares if it's the most powerful console with the most quality developer support of any platform on Earth? Who cares if dollar for dollar it's more value than anything out there? It's half as expensive as a PC and it was funny when Kaz Hirai said Ridge Racer, so everything must suck, even when it's trying to cure Huntington's disease! LOL, SONY'S GAY! LET'S TROLL EVERYTHING EVEN WHEN IT MAKES NO SENSE TO. HEY LOOK, MARIO PONG, HOT!!

*breathes*

*breathes*

Okay, okay, I'm fine now. Everything's cool. But I don't know what's with you guys. You're mental or something.
    -Kyo