Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EA Sports announces across-the-board price cuts

1. EA Sports announces across-the-board price cuts

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11...s_6112689.html

Madden NFL 2005, NHL 2005, and NBA Live 2005 now just $29.95 apiece; NCAA Football 2005 will be $39.95.

A new salvo was fired in the sports-game price war today as Electronic Arts announced drastic price reductions for almost all of its flagship EA Sports franchises. Effective immediately, all console versions of Madden NFL 2005 and NHL 2005 will retail for just $29.95, which is $20 less than the original prices for both. NBA Live 2005 and NCAA Football 2005 will be discounted by $10, so the games will now sell for $29.95 and $39.95, respectively. All four games are rated "E" for Everyone.

Frank Gibeau, EA’s Senior Vice President of Marketing, naturally had great things to say about the price drop. “People who buy sports games late in the season tend to be more casual players. Our pricing strategy will be a big draw during the holidays and will attract new players to EA Sports.”

As most industry watchers are aware, EA Sports' price drops are in direct response to ESPN Videogames' aggressive pricing strategy announced earlier this year. Copublished by Take-Two Interactive and Sega, all of the most recent crop of games bearing the ESPN name--ESPN NFL 2K5, ESPN NBA 2K5, ESPN College Hoops 2K5, and ESPN NHL 2K5--only cost $19.99. While the pricing strategy was initially, and publicly, scoffed at by EA executives, subsequent analyst reports and sales information have apparently prompted the company to take a different tack.
    Suck it, soulless evil corporation who kills slightly less evil, relatively less soulless corporations that I like.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

EA's arrogant asses have to give in and drop their prices. That kicks ass.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Suck it, soulless evil corporation who kills slightly less evil, relatively less soulless corporations that I like.
    Good line.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. Definitely. Well, $30 EA sports games = ESPN games being fucked royally, moreso.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

5. It was a matter of time. I'd feel royally fucked if I bought any of their bullshit last week, though. Good thing I didn't.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Definitely. Well, $30 EA sports games = ESPN games being fucked royally, moreso.
    I'm still getting ESPN NBA2k5 and at $10, it's a steal.

7. ESPN's stuff is down to $10?
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

8. Oh well, Hopefully some of the tards have seen the light now atleast. I know a lot of my friends finally know NHL 2k5 KILLS NHL2005.FINALLY.

9. ESPN NBA 2K5 was the deal of the century at $20.00.

10. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    I'm still getting ESPN NBA2k5 and at $10, it's a steal.
    i'm planning to get NBA 2K5, too. i just got a coupon for $10 off any ESPN game ($20 and up) from EB, so i'll definitely be putting it to use.