Thread: Star Wars: Galaxies (Crash!)

1. Star Wars: Galaxies (Crash!)

I was playing SWG on Saturday and the game locked up, after about 3 hours of playtime. So, I rebooted the game and everything played fine. So, I thought I'd give it a try on Sunday. Everything looks fine, but as soon as the game goes about loading, it gives me a message. Client has crashed, please do a full game file scan to verify files are complete (Or something like that).

Has anyone else ran into this problem and what can I do to correct this? I sent a message to the tech help today, but I'm worried I may have lost well over a year's worth of gameplay. Is there a way to save my character to disk and then reload the SWG program on my computer?
    Last edited by gamevet; 11 Nov 2004 at 12:59 AM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    please do a full game file scan to verify files are complete (Or something like that).
    Well, did you do this?

I seem to remember there was a feature on the Station Launchpad that let you scan all your game files, to see if any of them went corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    Is there a way to save my character to disk and then reload the SWG program on my computer?
    All SWG characters are saved on Sony's servers, not your own PC.

This is why when you unsubscribe, uninstall everything, and come back in six months, your character should still be there.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

3. Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss
    Well, did you do this?

I seem to remember there was a feature on the Station Launchpad that let you scan all your game files, to see if any of them went corrupted.
    I did this everytime I've tried to get on, for the past week. It's still give me the same results. I've even went so far as putting in the first disk from the game and it would go through a gamefile analysis program. I still get the same message.

All SWG characters are saved on Sony's servers, not your own PC.

This is why when you unsubscribe, uninstall everything, and come back in six months, your character should still be there.

I was thinking it was that way as well, but I wanted to be sure. It turns out that I'm not an isolated incedent. I've gone to the the official Star Wars Galaxies website and into the Tech Forums. It appears that many players have been out of luck, for nearly a week as well.

By the time Sony figures out this problem, I'll probably lose my house and all of it's possesions.

4. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    I did this everytime I've tried to get on, for the past week. It's still give me the same results. I've even went so far as putting in the first disk from the game and it would go through a gamefile analysis program. I still get the same message.

I was thinking it was that way as well, but I wanted to be sure. It turns out that I'm not an isolated incedent. I've gone to the the official Star Wars Galaxies website and into the Tech Forums. It appears that many players have been out of luck, for nearly a week as well.

By the time Sony figures out this problem, I'll probably lose my house and all of it's possesions.
    Wow... all I can think of is to go online and use their Live tech support... it's worked really good for me the two times I've had to use it.

And yea, you're right, apparently it's Sony's mess up this time, because I'm reading a thread now where some people are pretty pissed off.

Guess there's nothing to do but sit and wait? Kinda shitty that this happened, though. Apparently it's been going on for a few weeks... I recommend cancelling and just moving to EQ 2 or WoW
    Last edited by Roufuss; 14 Nov 2004 at 07:35 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss
    Wow... all I can think of is to go online and use their Live tech support... it's worked really good for me the two times I've had to use it.

And yea, you're right, apparently it's Sony's mess up this time, because I'm reading a thread now where some people are pretty pissed off.

Guess there's nothing to do but sit and wait? Kinda shitty that this happened, though. Apparently it's been going on for a few weeks... I recommend cancelling and just moving to EQ 2 or WoW
    I'd consider cancelling my subscription, but I've picked up Jump to Lightspeed a couple of weeks ago and I've already opened the box.

6. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    I'd consider cancelling my subscription, but I've picked up Jump to Lightspeed a couple of weeks ago and I've already opened the box.
    Ouch, yea.

I looked into it for you, and it seems that there's really no solution for it =/

Looks like your in the hands of Sony with this one. You could always cancel your sub and then resubscribe once they are done fixing it, I mean, no sense paying for a game you can't use.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss
    Ouch, yea.

I looked into it for you, and it seems that there's really no solution for it =/

Looks like your in the hands of Sony with this one. You could always cancel your sub and then resubscribe once they are done fixing it, I mean, no sense paying for a game you can't use.
    I've finally fixed the problem myself...the hard way. I took the suggestion of one person on the tech forums and went to Major Geeks website. I did everything MG suggest and it crashed my computer. Cleaned out the hard-drive and reloaded the software that came with my computer. Game works fine now, but I've lost a ton of drivers and Windows updates. At least I've dumped service pack 2.