Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 versions of Xbox 2?

1. Dreamcast 2 versions of Xbox 2?

Linkage

Great. An HDD nobody will program for. Brilliant!
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

2. I read 3 different versions at www.gamesarefun.com

By the way, what's with the Dreamcast symbol next to the thread name?

3. from theinquirer.net:
    A SLIDE from a non disclosure agreement (NDA) presentation seen by the INQ points towards Microsoft launching three versions of the Xbox 2, one of which is a fully functioning PC.

The presentation, understood to have been given to analysts and market researchers in the UK earlier this year, plots a timeline for the introduction of the systems. Xbox Next and Xbox Next HD are planned for Autumn 2005, whereas the Xbox Next PC is pencilled in for Autumn 2006.

The standard Xbox Next will not include a hard drive, which will allow Microsoft to cut costs on this basic unit.
    Xbox Next HD, as you might imagine, does include a hard drive and will offer increased functionality based on this. Xbox Next PC is, according to the presentation, an entry-level PC that runs Windows and all standard PC software. It also includes CD Burner, Wireless keyboard, mouse and controller and will work best connected to a high-definition TV or PC monitor. Media Center functionality - like movies, music and photos - is also included. The device will also play most available PC games.

System outline specifications note that internet browsing and instant messaging would be key applications, and that the entire unit will be smaller than the current Xbox, although it will not be possible to upgrade the shipping memory or processor.

The year-long gap between the mooted introductions of the 2 standard Xboxes before the Xbox Next PC is an interesting decision, which suggests that Microsoft realises the time that the market needs to acclimatise to TV media functionality. Since the Vole expects to ship Xbox Next before the Sony PlayStation 3, 2 versions of the console allow it to get the first wave out before PS3, but to also spoil the launch of Sony's flagship by concurrently announcing the PC version.

4. Man, console makers are getting greedy now. I don't mind the odd bell or whistle myself (such as builtin DVD playback on the current lineup minus GC), but when you aim at a market for wacky shit like "DVR + tv tuner + coffee maker + set-top box + entry level pc + vaccum oh and it plays games too" they're going too far.

5. I like the idea of different premium models with additional features. Besides, Sony & Nintendo/Matsushitsa did it first anyway PSX and Q.

Plus it gives Microsoft some nice room to wiggle in terms of pricing, while still offering all the premiums they did on Xbox for those who want them. Win/win imo.

6. If they made the Xbox Next PC so that it could be used as a hobbyist development kit, I would be all over that. I doubt that would happen though... it would be too good. I guess I will just wait until someone hacks the system and does it themselves.

The multiple formats are just a bad idea, though. Did they not learn anything from all of the failed addons Sega tried to push on people back in the day? Geez.

-Dippy

7. The fact that the next XBox is coming out next fall makes me angry enough...

8. These aren't add-ons in the classic sense though, the same game will run on all three versions (though obviously there might be some exclusive options on the HDD models for custom soundtracks, faster loading and whatnot). I dunno, I think just giving consumers more options is an excellent idea.

9. Quote Originally Posted by jarrod
    I dunno, I think just giving consumers more options is an excellent idea.
    I agree with this for cars, computers, stereos, ect. But not the console video game market. Being consistant with the hardware is key for the console game market.

Don't do it Microsoft.

10. Quote Originally Posted by JefmcC
    I agree with this for cars, computers, stereos, ect. But not the console video game market. Being consistant with the hardware is key for the console game market.

Don't do it Microsoft.
    Every successful platform has continual revisions though, in fact every hardware that's moved over 30 million units has had at least one... what's wrong with giving them right away?

Really, I just don't see the problem here if you want the premium features just spend a little more. Hell, it might even mean the base Xenon unit comes in lower than $299 (that would be something surprising, and really put pressure on Sony).