Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Awesome, My computer is freezing

1. Awesome, My computer is freezing

Well I have been playing Everquest II and suddenly yesterday when I tried to save my paperdoll image it froze... ok that's no big deal something I did was wrong with that.

But... later that night it did it again out of no where... and this time I noticed the sound of something clicking... kinda like something turning on and off, and I have no Idea what the hell it is. My CPU is at 68%, perhaps it is simply overheating due to the intensity?

Also can anyone recommend any software that will effectively monitor each piece of the hardware? So I could perhaps locate the problem if it isn't one of the more obvious pieces?

Thank you.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Thief~Silver
    Well I have been playing Everquest II and suddenly yesterday when I tried to save my paperdoll image it froze... ok that's no big deal something I did was wrong with that.

But... later that night it did it again out of no where... and this time I noticed the sound of something clicking... kinda like something turning on and off, and I have no Idea what the hell it is. My CPU is at 68%, perhaps it is simply overheating due to the intensity?

Also can anyone recommend any software that will effectively monitor each piece of the hardware? So I could perhaps locate the problem if it isn't one of the more obvious pieces?

Thank you.
    Clicking? Bad HD?

3. It sounds like when your computer crashes and restarts you know how it kinda... it's like a click, it sounds like that, but my computer isn't exactly shutting down.

4. motherboard monitor will give you pretty accurate cpu and mobo temps, but clicking usually means your hdd is on the way out.

5. So near 70 degrees Celsius is normal?

And I have two hard drives... awesome.. :/

Any other possibilities? Like one of the cards or something is overheating then shutting itself down? I'm pretty sure I can literally hear something power down and back up.

6. 70C for what kind of CPU? dont be lazy with pc problem descriptions. the smallest detail can make a difference. but i have to ask when this happens have you had the system on for long periods of time nonstop. and whats your ventilation like. all this shits important.

7. Ah sorry, Athlon XP 2600, 2100 mhz 331mhz frontside bus.

No it's happening during short periods of time now, but... I'm avoiding playing EQII and seeing if it happens again, and so far it's gone longer than it did while playing EQ. So I think i may be pressing it.

And my ventellation isn't stellar, I've got three fans, one being a crappy AMD fan so I should probably replace that. I've got one fan as an exhaust in the back, and one on the side.

This just suddenly occured I think this morning or so, and then occured again after.. about 2 hours of playing today? Then occured about 30 minutes of playing after I restarted. So overheating sounds like it's very possible.

And I always leave my CPU on for the most part, but I left it off until I got home, then followed up with the 2 hours of playing.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Thief~Silver
    ... and this time I noticed the sound of something clicking... kinda like something turning on and off, and

Based on this alone I have to agree with Mike and suggest you check out your harddrives. I can not think of anything else that would click as if "turning on and off" except a faulty harddrive.

EDIT:

Will a HD do this when it gets too hot? Maybe EQ stresses enough system hardware to increase the temp to a level the HD can't take.

9. If it's overheating just during Everquest, it could very well be the graphics card.

I mean, EQ 2 is an intense game, and the strain on the graphics card could be causing it to flip out.

Did you overclock anything at all?
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

10. But why would that only be prone to come into effect when I'm playing EQII? And to have just started so suddenly? Meh I know that there was no physical error before, and I've run a few checks on both hard drives already.

*SIgh* I've had to reformat every 2 months or so.. it's been about a month or two now.

No overclockage at all, but I do have the graphics decently high, I'm going to try and turn them down and play later on, but right now I'm letting my computer run without playiing EQII to see if it happens when I'm hardly stressing it out.