Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 must own westerns

1. Quote Originally Posted by mrt
    lol, i understand. thats a problem with many old westerns (white dudes playing indians kinda sucks). but its a really good movie. one of your picks does have Kostner by the way.
    2. Dances with Wolves and Silverado.

Even Wyatt Earp is good, with Jeff Bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss
    I remember one movie with Leonardo DiCaprio and Gene Hackman I think, about some kind of Wild West shootout contest.

Was pretty decent, but I can't remember the name.
    The Quick and The Dead.

Average, though cool to see Russel Crowe as the silent Reformed Gunslinger Turned Priest.

2. in a timely fashion: Tombstone just came on some crappy cable station.

while its an enjoyable flick, its hardly a must own. infact, its far from it. this is a must own list, right?

the extreme amount of mascara that Kurt Russel has on his face is enough to put this sucker in the "must catch on cable every once in awhile bacuase its a fun flick" category. among other glaring flaws.

Val Kilmer is quite cool though, as allways.

3. Dreamcast

Must own:

Unforgiven

It closes the book on the genre.

"We've all got it coming, kid."
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

4. Quote Originally Posted by mrt
    lol, i understand. thats a problem with many old westerns (white dudes playing indians kinda sucks). but its a really good movie. one of your picks does have Kostner by the way.
    Costner pre-Waterworld is solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. Blazing Saddles.. you must own this..

6. Quote Originally Posted by The_Meach
    "We've all got it coming, kid."
    I would have gone with "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." But yeah, it's definitely Top 10 Western material. Then again, I always thought Pale Rider was really underrated -- yeah, it's kind of hokey, but Clint resurrects the "vengeful ghost" theme of High Plains Drifter and turns in a great performance. Very satisfying stuff.

And Tombstone is a great western. It actually tells a good story, with great performances all around, and of course the nod to Val Kilmer and his awesome rivalry with Michael Biehn.
    "Fiends! Animals! Bastards!"

7. Dreamcast

Since we're playing the Unforgiven quote game:

"Any man don't want to get killed better go on out the back..."
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

8. Everyone is naming movies.. so I'll name a Western TV series:

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. A fun series with Bruce Campbell as the main character. I'm sure its out on DVD for cheap somewhere (series lasted 27 episodes).

9. The Man With No Name Trilogy: Fist Full of Dollars - For a Few Dollars More - The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.
    Unforgiven
    Open Range
    High Plains Drifter
    Dances with Wolves
    The Searchers

Silverado is garbage. Its like a shitty made for TV comedy western. Gross.
    Barf! Barf! Barf!