Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 must own westerns

10 must own westerns

Doles thread got me thinking, what exactly are the must own westerns? I only own a few so I can't really make a list. How about the rest of you?

2. I'll list the ones I think are great, but it's not my perogative to order them for you:

Dances with Wolves, Maverick, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, Shanghai Noon, The Shootist (John Wayne), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Unforgiven, High Noon.

There's more, but check those out. Some of them aren't the best but they vary the selection.

Check out Clint Eastwoods stuff first, though, so you get sensitized to the western movie atmosphere before delving. It'll help you understand and relate to the times and stories a little bit more. But before you even do that start with Shanghai Noon and Maverick, because they're tame and you'll like them. Maverick is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Silverado, Tombstone. Dances With Wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    Maverick is awesome.
    lol, yeah, I've had that on laser disk for quite some time now. Funny movie.

5. #1 Magnificent 7

Westworld (that dosent count, but see it)

6. I would agree mrt, but I cannot, for the life of me get past that whole German playing a Mexican thing.

7. lol, i understand. thats a problem with many old westerns (white dudes playing indians kinda sucks). but its a really good movie. one of your picks does have Kostner by the way.

and Westworld (to elaborate) is a sci-fi movie about a guy who goes to a futuristic theme-park. the theme being live your Wild West fantasy out. the park is populated by androids who you can fuck, kill, etc.

then things go awry.

it and the sequel Futureworld are both great old flicks. worth a watch. (the topic just brought them to mind, figured id mention them)

8. I'll second Tombstone. Kurt Russell played the part to perfection. A great cast with Sam Elliot, Bill Paxton and of course, Kurt Russell. I enjoyed this rendition of Wyatt Earps story, over the one played by Kevin Cosner.

Young Guns is a pretty good movie as well. You can YG for under $10 at Target.

High Plains Drifter: This is the defineative Clint Eastwood western. A really great story, with some of the best dry humor.
    Last edited by gamevet; 14 Nov 2004 at 02:46 AM.

9. I remember one movie with Leonardo DiCaprio and Gene Hackman I think, about some kind of Wild West shootout contest.

Was pretty decent, but I can't remember the name.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

10. Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss
    I remember one movie with Leonardo DiCaprio and Gene Hackman I think, about some kind of Wild West shootout contest.

Was pretty decent, but I can't remember the name.
    It also had Sharon Stone. It was okay, but like you I don't recall the name of it. Not what I'd call a top 10 western though.