Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self Destructing DVDs?

1. Question Self Destructing DVDs?

Before too long, the indie holiday film "Noel" should be available on DVD. What's the catch? Well, this disc is coated with a suicide chemical. Within 48 hours of being taken out of the package, the disc will be no good.

The movie's producers hope to whip up some publicity for the film with this practice while preserving the sales of a regular DVD version later.

I have doubts about putting such a DVD in my player especially if it has a chemical designed to ruin the disc. What else could happen?

Instead of espousing that method, I think movie studios should do a limited early Pay Per View run of their films one week after the theatrical release- even if it's at a relatively high price for PPV such as $20-25 which would be less than the price of 4 movie tickets. This would be a good way to offer those who cannot get out to the theaters (60-80 hour work weeks, small children, and other reasons) a way to see some of the first run titles.
    Last edited by gameoverDude; 17 Nov 2004 at 08:50 PM.

2. Meh. Disney and other companies I have been toying with this idea for quite awhile, but I doubt it will catch on or anything.

3. Sounds like a waste of resources.

4. I hate this idea in theory, and I doubt the execution will work out well.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

5. So you just have to copy the DVD within 48 hours of opening it?
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

6. Well, it takes about 5-10 minutes to rip a DVD for reburning.

But these dumbasses don't see that.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

7. haha

8. these will make me feel like inspector gadget

9. Quote Originally Posted by Wildkat
    Well, it takes about 5-10 minutes to rip a DVD for reburning.

But these dumbasses don't see that.
    That's what I am thinking as well, unless they can somehow make it so that you can't copy it.... but, that seems impossible since a DVD player must be able to read the files to play it.

So these dumbasses spend all the money and time to come up with something that can be defeated in 10 minutes. Nice.

10. And our landfills grow taller...