Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garrega superplay DVD announced!

1. Garrega superplay DVD announced!

Just saw this on Click's site:

• INSANITY DVD THE MADNESS BATTLE GAREGGA! On December 7th, Tanomicon will be releasing a very special Battle Garegga superplay DVD with 180 min. of footage from top players T3-KAMUI [T3-??] and DXP-Yoshidaya [DXP ???.] Four complete runs with ships GAIN, SILVERSORD, GLASSHOPPER, and MIYAMOTO will be present with on-screen gameplay notes that can be turned on and off. The DVD will also feature game outtakes and a development database. But, that's not all! The first pressings will include an original soundtrack CD with remastered music from the SEGA Saturn port... That includes both the original tracks and arranged music, plus one brand new track - 32 songs in all. To top things off, a 72 page Handbook will also be included. It will contain liner notes, original illiustrations, and unreleased mechanical artwork. All this for ¥5800. Not a bad deal, really. Tanomi also mentions they will be doing similar releases for the RAIDEN FIGHTERS games. Cocoebiz expects to stock the item when it is available. [Thanks to alberto, and the Guest... Check here for more information.]
    Awesome, a "devlopment database," "Outtakes." Art and possibly elements cut from the game? And I can't wait to hear what the remix for level 4 (the one with all the varying tanks and the squid boss) sounds like. Total sweetness.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 13 Nov 2004 at 11:58 PM.

2. 12/07

I'm there.

3. I've seen a Garegga superplay before. One that I d/led off of a shmup movie site (I think it was Leeram's). Garegga's a cool game and everything, but the player seemed to be manipulating the ranking by just sitting there during boss battles. That was plain boring. You'll have to let me know if this DVD does the same thing. Do these vert superplay DVDs have tate mode options? I doubt it.

4. Hmm, Garegga vids I saw had lots of intentional deaths to control rank. It was kind of annoying.

5. That's the only way to one-credit the game, though.

6. Intentional death will always seem wrong to me. I'd like to see a superplay that refuses to engage in that, and ends with a huge stock of lives.

7. You won't unless someone does a tool-assisted run using a custom hack of Final Burn Alpha (it has movie re-recording). I think the game is too damn hard otherwise.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    Intentional death will always seem wrong to me. I'd like to see a superplay that refuses to engage in that, and ends with a huge stock of lives.
    I know what you guys mean, this turned me off to Garegga as well. I love the game though, I just see how mind-numbingly difficult it can be. I wish Raizing did not use rank in so many of their games (though in Souky it somehow seems manageable--then again, I have never 1CC'd Souky....)

Psikyo uses rank as well right? I much prefer the CAVE-style madness to the rank system.....but I still love them all...

9. Quote Originally Posted by SoldatoJ
    I know what you guys mean, this turned me off to Garegga as well. I love the game though, I just see how mind-numbingly difficult it can be. I wish Raizing did not use rank in so many of their games (though in Souky it somehow seems manageable--then again, I have never 1CC'd Souky....)

Psikyo uses rank as well right? I much prefer the CAVE-style madness to the rank system.....but I still love them all...
    In Souky you cannot suicide to control rank. Psikyo does use it- in their games, rank can be lowered by Powering Down (ram an enemy) or using bombs.

Ketsui~KJ doesn't seem to have rank. Neither do any of Takumi's titles IIRC. ESPGaluda does have a rank option in the PS2 practice menu- so I'd assume it does, but I'm not sure how its system works.

DDPDOJ does have it- but there it can be controlled if you don't go apeshit with Hypers.

10. First of all, does anyone know if this DVD will be region free? Cuz I know the Jap Gradius V DVD was so maybe I can hope.

Anyways, I have been *toying* with rank since a few months ago. At first I didn't like the idea of rank and had been putting it off for a looong time. But with some help from the peeps in the shmups strategy forum I found out about the pink flamingo trick (thanks superkiller).

In the second stage, use a superbomb on the overgrown aztec castle. When you do, a bunch of pink flamingos will fly out, shoot and use bombs on them and you can often shoot your score up to almost a cool million really fast. This only works well if you use ALL your bombs on the birds and the best ship to use for this trick is the Wild Snail with its duel flame throwers. Once I got this down and made myself stick to just one or two options, I was recently able to push my score up to a little over 4 million after getting far into stage 5. Best of all, I didn't have to suicide to get my new score and was still able to go manic insane on the enemies and levels. The key is just not to take extra weapon power ups when you have high/max power or extra options. Obviously you can't 1CC that way (AFAIK anyways) but before I messed around with the rank system I couldn't push my score much past 1 and a half mil, so even if you just mess with it a bit (as I have) it can really help. I still haven't been suiciding but I still seem to be doing OK and can get to the last ship on the boss alley playing the way I have.

Anyways, I would also post this stuff in the shmups forum, too bad we have been hacked again. errrgggghhhh
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 15 Nov 2004 at 07:15 PM.