Page 1 of 20 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox Next pretty much confirmed for 2005 release

1. Xbox Xbox Next pretty much confirmed for 2005 release

From an interview at IGNCube:
    Matt responds: Well, Revolution isn't coming out in 2005. It's scheduled to release in 2006 alongside Sony's PlayStation 3. Microsoft will release the successor to Xbox in 2005. And by the way, if there is still any doubt about this happening, now's the time to put it to rest. I've seen some holiday 2005 plans from publishers and several of them have major Xbox 2 titles scheduled for next November. I could name specific franchises and brand new IPs. It's really happening. And from the looks of it, there are going to be some pretty impressive launch titles.
    Yeah, as it's been said numerous times, it seems a little early... but the more I think about it the more I think it's just about right. The current consoles are showing their age graphically, I'm more than ready for a console that can do what PCs are doing and beyond.

Halo 3 of course would be ideal for launch, but not realistic... so I'd suggest they do the next best thing and do something along the lines of a Halo 2x, a graphically-upgraded port of 1+2 on one disc, with Live play for both and additional multiplayer maps.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    Halo 3 of course would be ideal for launch, but not realistic... so I'd suggest they do the next best thing and do something along the lines of a Halo 2x, a graphically-upgraded port of 1+2 on one disc, with Live play for both and additional multiplayer maps.
    That's a pretty good idea actually, especially if Xbox Next drops backwards compatability. I know Perfect Dark 0 was being positioned to take Halo 3's place at launch, but given Rare's ability to meet deadlines I doubt that'll make it either.

Any idea what games have been mentioned for Xenon launch though? Off the top of my head I can only think of DOA4, Oblivion and the full EA sports lineup. :/

3. Quote Originally Posted by jarrod
    That's a pretty good idea actually, especially if Xbox Next drops backwards compatability. I know Perfect Dark 0 was being positioned to take Halo 3's place at launch, but given Rare's ability to meet deadlines I doubt that'll make it either.

Any idea what games have been mentioned for Xenon launch though? Off the top of my head I can only think of DOA4, Oblivion and the full EA sports lineup. :/
    I think Mechassault 3 might be a launch title .

4. The guy writing that says "he could name" titles. Why doesn't he? Whats the point in keeping it secret?

I'm still skeptical on a 2005 launch. I mean, Halo 3 is your 900 lb. gorilla ... why wouldn't you want that at launch?

I don't see the advantage of launching early, unless you have killer apps right out of the box.

Maybe Bungie did Halo 2 and Halo 3 concurrently, story and all, seeing as how much is left undone in Halo 2.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia
    Maybe Bungie did Halo 2 and Halo 3 concurrently, story and all, seeing as how much is left undone in Halo 2.
    I was thinking the same thing, and I wouldn't be surprised.

Bungie's crafty like that.

8. Quote Originally Posted by toxic
    The guy writing that says "he could name" titles. Why doesn't he? Whats the point in keeping it secret?
    Being as this interview is on IGNCube, giving reasons to look forward to a competitor's console would probably be frowned upon.

PGR3 is a good possibility as a launch title, and if they can get a spiffed up port of Madden 2K6 and maybe some other big EA holiday titles, they're golden.

And I would be really surprised is backwards compatability isn't supported.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 16 Nov 2004 at 10:59 AM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by toxic
    I'm still skeptical on a 2005 launch. I mean, Halo 3 is your 900 lb. gorilla ... why wouldn't you want that at launch?

I don't see the advantage of launching early, unless you have killer apps right out of the box.
    Madden 2006 might be enough of a killer app for the casuals (it was for PS2 anyway)... besides Halo 3 would be better off being saved for fall 2006, going directly against the PS3 launch.

10. SSX 4, Burnout 4, Mech Assualt 3, Elder Scrolls IV, Splinter Cell 4 (you know they're working on it), DOA4. Yeah, I can see some nice launch titles there.

Here's a question: if Bungie hasn't started full work on Halo 3 and wants to work on a new game, do you think MS would farm Halo out to another group?

Quote Originally Posted by jarrod
    besides Halo 3 would be better off being saved for fall 2006, going directly against the PS3 launch.
    Good point. I hope that MS finds a way to work backwards compatibility into the system. Guess we'll find out at GDC. At least Live compatability should be easy to emulate.
    Never under any circumstance scrutinize the mastication orifice of a gratuitous herbivorous quadruped.