Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS and PSP shortages expected.

1. DS and PSP shortages expected.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5496

Both Nintendo and Sony are anticipating short supply of hardware when their new handheld consoles launch, it has emerged, with the PSP likely to suffer most as only 200,000 units will be available on day one.

Nintendo has seen demand for the DS rise to around double the expected level, with pre-orders for the console currently standing at two million units, leading to a third factory being brought online to manufacture the console.

However, the new production facilities won't help the situation at launch, and only a million units will be available to the channel to begin with - although a further million will be made available by early in the New Year.

Nintendo's projections for sales by the end of March, when its financial year ends, stands at four million units, up from previous predictions of 3.5 million unit sales.

Sony faces even worse shortages, however, with only 200,000 units of the PlayStation Portable due to ship in Japan on the December 12th launch date, while additional shipments through December will bring the total number of units available to half a million.

It's likely that this low number reflects difficulties in manufacturing the technologically advanced PSP console, but some commentators have suggested that Sony may be deliberately reducing the number of units it manufactures early on, to avoid taking huge losses on hardware.

The company's manufacturing costs for the console are likely to fall rapidly in the early months of production, and the firm may be hoping to build hype for the system with a limited launch and then to release a proper supply of units to the market once per-unit losses have fallen to a more acceptable level.
    With the DS, it looks like I'll be getting it the second I find one, and know that my lens works well with it. With the PSP...eh.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

2. Dude, dont get a DS. You dont want to make Baby Jesus cry, do you?
    Last edited by diffusionx; 17 Nov 2004 at 06:02 PM.

3. If the PSP gets Wario Ware, then I might go with that one. Oh, wait

you know, as ugly as it looks (especially compared to the PSP) the DS is ricockulously fun. I'll probably get both if I have time between their releases and the next-gen console releases. Esp. if there's some good deals.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

5. Demand always outstrips supply for platform launches. Nothing new really, both Nintendo and Sony will instantly sell whatever product they can get on shelves... I suspect this may mean delays for DS in Europe and PSP in America/Europe, in order to try and meet demand in their primary regions.

6. Tried a demo DS today at EB. Metroid was eh.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

I agree, it was kind of bleh looking, and the stylus was a little awkward, but with the thumb strap I'll be fine with that. It's the shoulder-button shooting I really don't like. If there's an option to switch that I'm good with it.

8. Well, considering that both EB and GS are as-companies preordered out, is this really shocking?

Can't wait to see the videos of mom's and dad's beating the crap out of one another trying to get a DS this holiday.

9. Handhelds = Shit on my ass.

10. No shock, every console Sony or Nintendo has supposed shortages at launch. It creates massive hype and is crap for people in the short term, but ultimately good in the long term.