Thread: upcoming

1. upcoming

Bleach: Kurosawa Ichigo is a high school student with the ability to see spirits. Sound familiar? It's no Yuu Yuu Hakusho, because instead of working as a Spirit Detective, Ichigo is a Soul Reaper working for the Soul Society. His job is to defeat Hallows, the evil spirits, and send wandering spirits off to their judgment. Bleach is one of the more famous series to debut this season, since it has such a wide fanbase in America and more than a dozen volumes already out in Japan. As a part of the famous Shonen Jump, Bleach is another show full-fledged Narutards may actually watch. If you haven't heard or seen it, you probably will soon because I'm sure that Bleach is bound to get bigger and bigger as time goes on. Shonen Jump of America has released three volumes of the series.

Gundam Seed Destiny: Did you ever want to know what happened after Gundam Seed ended? What became of Kira, Athrun, and all the others after a bunch of their comrades died on the battlefield in the end of Seed? Well, you probably won't ever know, because Gundam Seed Destiny is no longer from perspective of its predecessing series' main characters. Instead, Gundam Seed Destiny introduces Shin, a solider who enlists to prevent another war from occurring after his family had perished in the midst of combat. Is he a Gundam pilot? Yes. Are there even more Gundams in this series than before? Well, nothing can compare to G Gundam, where every stinken' mobile suit was a Gundam... But yes, there's more Gundams, and a bunch of them are rather eye-catching. Gundam Seed Destiny, without a doubt, will be recognized in the anime world solely because of the most recognizable word in its name, but one thing I was turned off by was the fact that the series used a cliché. No, it did not start with some guy being "destined" to save the world. However, Gundam Seed Destiny reused the same thing that happened in the beginning of Gundam Seed -- Gundams were hijacked. Where's the originality? That and the character designs don't look very original, like a lot of the new characters look exactly like the old characters from Seed, but still, it's a Gundam show, so what more can I say?

Yakitate!! Japan: Every country seems to have its own recognized type of bread.. every country except for Japan. Azuma Kazuma, a young boy who excels in baking, is determined to create a bread that Japan can be noted for -- Ja-pan! OK, honestly, this show may sound lame because the whole concept is about bread baking, but really, Yakitate!! Japan has quite a fanbase online. I haven't read the manga myself, but from what I've heard, there's some homosexual themes involved, so fangirls, you may want to start picking this series up. Still, I must say, give it a chance! Bread making can't be as lame as raising monsters that live in tiny plastic balls. (I have a little gripe, though... For those of you who know a bit about the Japanese culture, wouldn't Japan's unofficial bread be melon pan? Just a thought. If you've seen DearS, it just shows how influential that delicious bread is.)

Beck: "I will make the best band." Yeah, OK. So everyone in anime wants to be the best at something. You know that the main characters are going to rise to number one no matter what, but the main question is how they're going to do it. Beck features a mixture of both the Japanese and American cultures. A bit of English is used in this show. While it's not as bad as some other series that feature characters who supposedly know a lot of English and are really bad at proving it, the English used in Beck is slightly, well... vulgar. When I went to Japan, the only word the majority of Japanese teenagers in the area where I lived knew was the "f" word. There's going to be a lot of street brawls and rock and roll in Beck. It looks like it's going to be an interesting series, but already, fans of the manga are popping out and bashing the animated version. So, I guess in order to appease them, if you like the anime, go read the manga. This is probably one of my favorite shows of the season, probably only because I really like the music.

Mai HiME: If you've seen Scryed, Mai HiME is sort of like that. There's people who can control some kind of element or machinery. However, unlike Scryed, Mai HiME seems a little more interesting and has yet to consist of repeated pointless battles between the main characters. The story is set with a bunch of high school kids. There are these special girls known as "HiME"s who have radical powers to duke it out with monsters known as Orphans. Mmm... I really like the animation in this show. That one girl's sword, Miroku, is totally awesome. If you're a sucker for eye candy, you'd maybe like this.

Beet the Vandel Buster: Second-generation heroes form a group to defeat evil monsters, who are more intelligent than the normal bunch of goblins in the woods who only know how to slash, growl, and drool all over themselves. Yes, the baddies in Beet the Vandel Buster are all hunters of some sort, who take out highly priced heroes in order for riches. So like, in the monster world, if you defeat the legendary hero, you'd be rich and famous. But it's not the monsters we're concerned about here. Oh no. Beet the Vandel Buster is focused on Beet, a young boy with the Excellion Blade, set off on a quest with his companions to defeat the monsters that eliminated the heroes he looked up to when he was even younger. It's one of those stories, yes. Full of mindless battles with monsters including familiar anime themes like "I'll win because I have a lot of heart" and "the bad guys will probably win one decesive battle, but in the end, the heroes will always, always, always triumph."

Gankutsuou: This anime is based off of the Count of Monte Carlo... or was it Monte Cristo? Ah, it really doesn't matter because this one is definitely not worth any of your time. Well, maybe if you liked the movie that was recently made, you may like this. Sadly, this one GONZO animation just didn't interest me one bit. I had a hard time staying awake after the eight minute mark, so unfortunately, I can't give much of a summary about what happened. All I remember is two guys and some vampire were talking, and one of the guys played a game with the vampire where he had to choose one prisoner on death row to be saved out of the bunch.

School Rumble: School Rumble is a show not only filled with comedy and romance, but a triangle relationship between three people who lack a whole lot of common sense. I've only seen one episode, and the funniest part of it was spoiled thanks to some big mouths. (I won't say what it was, but there's a really hilarious anime reference near the end of the show during a chase scene. You're just going to have to watch it yourself if you ever want to know.) Other than that, I felt that there was a lot lacking, like, I just couldn't instantly like the characters. Ah, well, I just have to give it time I guess. But yeah, if you're expecting this to be a fighting anime based off of the title, you are oh so wrong.

Genshiken: Are you an anime nerd? Well if you are, you should watch this show. I watched it this morning and laughed because of how many references I knew myself, but after I had laughed, I felt kind of sad because of how much I knew. Talk about a double-edge sword. The story focuses around this one guy who is kind of shy and wants to be admitted into the 'genshiken' club. (Sorry, I forgot what the translation was for that, but it's like an anime and manga discussion club.) He manages to involve himself in their activities and slowly begans to relate with the other nerds in the group. That's the jist of it.

Rozen Maiden: Jun is a bossy younger brother who pushes his sister around and even talks to her harshly. He's a fanatic of ordering things online no matter how strange they may be. Upon signing a paper, Jun finds a mysterious briefcase in his room. In it is a doll, which he winds up. The doll comes to life and a clown doll breaks into his room and tries to kill him. In order to defeat it, Jun becomes the servant of the doll by kissing the rose ring on her finger. Funky, huh? Well, after just one episode, I must admit that I am looking forward to this strange new approach of an anime. Check it out, because you may be just as weird as me for liking it.

Grenaider: The Smiling Soldier only takes kindly to those who don't stand in her way. If you make her mad, she'll whip out her guns and show you a thing or two about sharpshooting. Grenaider doesn't seem to be very intriguing after only the first episode. The main character has an oversized chest and can wield guns better than the Noir girls. She's like the perfect woman! Well, maybe not. I can't really recommend this one, but at the same time, I won't warn you not to watch it. Though, this is just my opinion, but I don't think this show is going to get really complex. There are a bunch of "tease scenes" that kind of foreshadow the level of maturity the show is going to be on. Like, right off the bat, the lead male character, fleeing from a bunch of soldiers after him, jumps into the hot springs where the lead female character is bathing naked in. He hides his face in her cleavege. Right... Do you see what I mean?

Harukanaru Toki no Naka de: Honestly, when I was watching the first couple of minutes of this show, I thought Fushigi Yuugi. In a way, I was kind of happy that this wasn't a rip-off of the series, but in a way, I was a little disappointed that this show did not contain the same feeling Fushigi Yuugi had. Harukanaru Toki no Naka de is about some crazy guy who's trying to find the 'Ryuujin no Miko,' who just so happens to be your typical "normal teenage girl" from Earth. The Ryuujin no Miko has the ability to do something with the Four Gods, Seiryu, Suzaku, Byakko, and Genbu. This was another series I almost fell asleep through, so... yeah, you know what that means.

Kannazuki no Miko: Another show dealing with mikos (priestesses/shrine maidens). Well, if you ever wanted to watch an anime that contained almost everything, look no further! Kannazuki no Miko has themes of worldy destruction ala X/1999, giant robots, magical powers, and lesbians. Talk about a shonen rush! With all of these things involved, is the show even interesting, first off? The first episode left me confused beyond belief. It seemed like things just happened for no reason. It's a peaceful day, then suddenly, the world has turned into Hell frozen over with a pitch black sky and giant robots wanting to kill the main character. I'll watch more, but will continue to be left in the dark of what the heck's actually going on as I resume.

Whew. So, that's about it. There's a few more titles, but I couldn't get my hands on them because they haven't been fansubbed like Viewtful Joe, for one. If you were really honestly too lazy to read that all, my picks are Bleach, Gundam Seed Destiny, Beck, Yakitate!! Japan, Mai HiME, and Rozen Maiden. The rest are just average or not worth your time unless you have nothing better to do like me and watch a lot of anime.

This is all from a anime site(thespectrum.net) and these are the new anime coming out in Japan.

I want to see Bleach and am a bit disappointed by gundam seed destiny.

Where the hell is Viewtuful Joe fansubbed??

2. *yaaaawn*

Wake me when the FMA movie comes out.

3. Mai Hime and Gankutsuo are pretty good. Bleach is also pretty good.

4. Quote Originally Posted by remnant
    Yakitate!! Japan: Every country seems to have its own recognized type of bread.. every country except for Japan. Azuma Kazuma, a young boy who excels in baking, is determined to create a bread that Japan can be noted for -- Ja-pan! OK, honestly, this show may sound lame because the whole concept is about bread baking, but really, Yakitate!! Japan has quite a fanbase online. I haven't read the manga myself, but from what I've heard, there's some homosexual themes involved, so fangirls, you may want to start picking this series up. Still, I must say, give it a chance! Bread making can't be as lame as raising monsters that live in tiny plastic balls. (I have a little gripe, though... For those of you who know a bit about the Japanese culture, wouldn't Japan's unofficial bread be melon pan? Just a thought. If you've seen DearS, it just shows how influential that delicious bread is.)
    This one actually sounds interesting. It combines two of my favorite things, anime and cooking.

5. Quote Originally Posted by remnant
    Gundam Seed Destiny: Did you ever want to know what happened after Gundam Seed ended? What became of Kira, Athrun, and all the others after a bunch of their comrades died on the battlefield in the end of Seed? Well, you probably won't ever know, because Gundam Seed Destiny is no longer from perspective of its predecessing series' main characters. Instead, Gundam Seed Destiny introduces Shin, a solider who enlists to prevent another war from occurring after his family had perished in the midst of combat. Is he a Gundam pilot? Yes. Are there even more Gundams in this series than before? Well, nothing can compare to G Gundam, where every stinken' mobile suit was a Gundam... But yes, there's more Gundams, and a bunch of them are rather eye-catching. Gundam Seed Destiny, without a doubt, will be recognized in the anime world solely because of the most recognizable word in its name, but one thing I was turned off by was the fact that the series used a cliché. No, it did not start with some guy being "destined" to save the world. However, Gundam Seed Destiny reused the same thing that happened in the beginning of Gundam Seed -- Gundams were hijacked. Where's the originality? That and the character designs don't look very original, like a lot of the new characters look exactly like the old characters from Seed, but still, it's a Gundam show, so what more can I say?
    I've watched the first seven episodes and am highly enjoying this season. Maybe it's the fact that I'm a hardcore Gundam fan

6. Quote Originally Posted by animegirl20
    This one actually sounds interesting. It combines two of my favorite things, anime and cooking.
    Yea if you like a lil Yaoi you'll really enjoy it. I stumbled across the manga and was excited for about 2 seconds. I thought I had found another culinary manga and found out about the yaoi themes and went running before it tarnished my love for bread making and work.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Rtificial
    Yea if you like a lil Yaoi you'll really enjoy it. I stumbled across the manga and was excited for about 2 seconds. I thought I had found another culinary manga and found out about the yaoi themes and went running before it tarnished my love for bread making and work.
    Ohhh man-lovin and bread? I am so there!

8. I wanna read that Koga-pan I think its called, manga. About the lil bread that is alive. I really like the Iron Wok Jan manga, it has some crazy culinary battles in it, not sure if they made a anime for Iron Wok Jan though.