Thread: PAL version of Alien Soldier

1. PAL version of Alien Soldier

Hi,

I just bought the PAL version of Alien Soldier.
    Now I would prefer to play it at the intended speed of course, but am unsure how.

I have read on the internet that it is optimized for PAL systems, but I tested it in an emulater (gens) and while the music runs as fast as the japanese version the actual game dosn't. I am sure about it since you can check with the 2 minute countdown in the corner.

I assume the same will happen if I play it in a real PAL Mega Drive?

Hope some one can help, thank you.

2. Quote Originally Posted by 45758
    I assume the same will happen if I play it in a real PAL Mega Drive?
    I don't think so, since a MegaDrive would play it at 50hz. The emulator probably ran it at 60hz (like a Genesis).
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

3. You can set the region yourself, so it is supposed to play in 50 hz. It also says so when the game boots up.
    Thanks.

4. Gens will run a game at its correct speed, so a slower PAL game will play slower in that emulator.

Even if a game is PAL optimised, it probably won't run as fast as the NTSC versions, but the screen might be expanded to eliminate borders. So basically, if you play it at 50Hz (hard to do outside a PAL territory unless you have a good monitor) it will be a bit slower but decent and if you play it at 60Hz it will be too fast and you might lose the top and bottom of the screen.

I thought PAL MegaDrive games had their sound slowed down along with the graphics, unlike the SNES, which has a separately clocked sound chip or something like that. Maybe it only applies to some MegaDrive games.

5. I have the PAL Alien Soldier and I play it on a US Genesis with the Mega Key adapter. The game runs fine, with the exception of the one level that has glitches, which is a known problem with the PAL version.

The scrolling is just as smooth as any other Genesis game, such as Gunstar Heroes. I've also played the Jp version via emu, and my PAL version plays exactly the same.