Page 1 of 26 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Otakon 2005

1. Otakon 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Otakon committee peopleseseses
    NOVEMBER 22, 2004 NEW!

BY: Jim Vowles, Vice Con Chair for Otakon 2005

Announcement: Dates for Otakon 2005

At long last, we're ready to announce that Otakon 2005 will take place at the Baltimore Convention Center on August 19-21, 2005. Expect more news about Otakon 2004 in the coming weeks. With the happy announcement of our dates for Otakon 2005, we must regretfully make another announcement. For the first time in our existence, Otakon is announcing that we will cap our attendance. For Otakon 2005, we will limit our memberships to 22,000. WHY WE'RE DOING IT: This action is necessary primarily for reasons of safety and crowd control. We are approaching the physical limits of our space, which adds to the challenges our staff faces in handling the rising tide of otaku, and raises the possibility that a cap will be ordered by either the BCC or city officials. After a great deal of deliberation, we arrived at a number that allows for some growth, while still remaining within bounds we felt we could manage without endangering our membership. It should also keep us below the level at which the BCC or the city would need to take action. WHAT THIS MEANS: The attendance cap means that Otakon memberships are now limited -- and as such, we are changing or clarifying several policies regarding memberships. Otakon memberships are not transferrable, nor are they refundable. (The reason for this change is mostly logistical; we simply do not have the ability to process these requests in a timely fashion. Also, this year, most of our refund requests came from people who simply changed their minds, or realized they'd overspent. But perhaps most importantly, with a limited quantity of memberships to offer, each cancellation not only deprives the convention of your membership fee, it deprives someone else of the chance to come to Otakon.) The other major change is that we will no longer offer one-day memberships. As the crowds have increased, it has become increasingly difficult to verify these passes from day to day. Realistically, we expect that a greater number of our members will choose to pre-register. While we expect a significant shift to pre-registration, we do not expect to sell out prior to the convention. However, we will do our level best to keep you up to date regarding how many memberships are available, and how many will be available at the door. In the event we do sell out prior to the convention, you'll have adequate notice. We will open pre-registration in early 2005. Please also note that any pending refunds for 2004 are unaffected by this policy, and are still being processed. We appreciate your patience.
    http://www.otakon.com/news_article.asp?id=67

The dates are August 19-21, bitches. Start your hotel-reserving engines. ViciousJazz already did and booked us some rooms at the Holiday Inn a block away. FIRST TIME IN A DECENT HOTEL IN FOUR YEARS!
    2002 - Shitty local hotel with shady employees and tiny rooms.
    2003 - Nice hotel with nice employees that was a $20 cab ride away from the convention center.
    2004 - Shittier local hotel with shadier employees and slightly larger rooms in a terrible area.
    2005 - Holiday Inn
    You guys honestly don't know how happy I am about this. If ViciousJazz were a women, I'd make sure to be really nervous around him and sit next to him every chance I get for doing this.
    PSSST... that was self-deprivating humor.

2. I'll be there.

3. This year will be so much better than this last one, and I really enjoyed the last trip.

4. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    If ViciousJazz were a women, I'd make sure to be really nervous around him and sit next to him every chance I get for doing this.
    you should go for it. i don't think he'd try to stop you from getting some anyway.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Victor
    you should go for it. i don't think he'd try to stop you from getting some anyway.
    He does need some tail, but he's not that good of a friend.

6. Super Famicom

I'M EXCITED!!! weedily weedily weeeeee!!!!
    I get to sit next to him a lot ^^
    GET IN LINE, CHAOOFNEE XD
    Say you like it/Say you need it/When you don't
    Looking better/Shining brighter/Than you do

7. ChaoofNee, how much is the Holiday Inn per night? I'm gonna try to go for that hotel this year. Either that or the Days Inn.
    -Myk

8. As long as Burg comes again, it will be top tier.

9. Quote Originally Posted by ShinMyk
    ChaoofNee, how much is the Holiday Inn per night? I'm gonna try to go for that hotel this year. Either that or the Days Inn.
    It's 209 per night, but if you act innocent and truly believe it's 179 per night they'll override it for you.

And give up on the Days Inn. The con organizers reserve that hotel solid for gofers, guests, and the Otakon staff.

10. Baltimore? Shit, might as well drive there, or rather, get driven there. And if that can be done, I'll go.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan