Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2456

Thread: Dragon Quest VIII to own Halo 2?

1. Given userbase numbers, I'd expect a good 200-400k of Halo 2 sales came from outside the United States
    Id also expect 200-400k faggot-chans imported this shitty ass RPG from Japan so they can post on RPGamer about how hardcore they are.

In any case, considering what a phenomenon DQ has always been in Japan (for some reason), it is very impressive that Microsoft has a game on its console which can just about match Japan's DQ-love unit-for-unit.

Is SE just fleecing the japanese because they know they'll buy it anyway?
    You got it.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Sl1p
    PS: Halo 2 will out sell Half-Life 2 as well Andy. Cry.
    I dunno, HL1 sold more than Halo did. Halo will sell alot more this year, probably next year, but HL2 may well be able to sell signifigant amounts for years to come feuled by expansion packs, and, to a lesser extent, fan mods, much like how the Sims sold a bajillion copies.

I think within 6 months everyone who wants or will want Halo 2 will own it. HL2 is going to find its audience more gradually like the first did.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    I think within 6 months everyone who wants or will want Halo 2 will own it. HL2 is going to find its audience more gradually like the first did.
    Except for the fact that Halo was still one of the top 10 Xbox games in units sold per month for every month of the Xbox's existence until Halo 2 came out.

Not to say that HL2 will not sell well for an extended period (how well it sells is partially dependent if they stumble on another megahit like they did with Counter-Strike), but don't sell Halo 2 short.

-Dippy

4. The Xbox will be essentially dead within two years, so I doubt Halo 2 will have the original's long term sales.

5. Not to be off topic, but...
    Does anyone here actually have DQVIII? If so, what are your impressions?
    I've just ordered my copy
    after reading good things on Japanese BBS boards. It really sounds great.
    Should be a nice game to play over christmas vacation after finishing Popolocrois 2 (which is a fantastic game I might add)!!

6. Quote Originally Posted by blueskied
    Not to be off topic, but...
    Does anyone here actually have DQVIII? If so, what are your impressions?
    I've just ordered my copy
    after reading good things on Japanese BBS boards. It really sounds great.
    Should be a nice game to play over christmas vacation after finishing Popolocrois 2 (which is a fantastic game I might add)!!
    I plan on ordering it within the next few days, and my friend (big DQ fan) is going to help me translate it. I never played VII, so it's been awhile since I've played the series.

Do you know what Famitsu ranking it received?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Takumi
    I plan on ordering it within the next few days, and my friend (big DQ fan) is going to help me translate it. I never played VII, so it's been awhile since I've played the series.

Do you know what Famitsu ranking it received?
    You're wise to order it now if you can play through the Japanese version,
    as it won't come out in the USA until late 2005 at the earliest. They haven't even decided on a translation team yet! And this game has a ridiculous amount of text.

I hear Famitsu gave it a 38/40. But the only DQ not to get a score of 35 or higher from Famitsu was VI.

I never played VII either. I played VI for awhile but got sick of it.
    From what I've read VIII is more my speed. We'll see!
    Last edited by blueskied; 01 Dec 2004 at 04:57 AM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Sl1p
    LOL

PS: Halo 2 will out sell Half-Life 2 as well Andy. Cry.
    DQ8 still won, and Half-Life 1 has sold twice as much as Halo has. To speculate sales of their sequels is trivial, though I'd say the odds are in HL2's favor in the long term, for reasons already mentioned. And either way, this whole thread was a joke. Cry.

=D
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

9. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Id also expect 200-400k faggot-chans imported this shitty ass RPG from Japan so they can post on RPGamer about how hardcore they are.
    Completely irrelevant though (even if true), because sales still count towards the Japanese release. Microsoft distributed Halo 2 in Canada and Mexico themselves, people weren't importing on their own in these regions for those 200-400k of sales. No matter how you spin it, you're still comparing three nations to one here. Nice effort though.

I'd still like NPD confirmation though. Microsoft's 2.3M figure is pretty worthless without some sort of verification, given they lack their own polling group and cited no sources... for all we know these could just be shipped numbers and not sold through.