Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon Quest VIII to own Halo 2?

1. Dragon Quest VIII to own Halo 2?

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/568/568323p1.html

Dragon Quest VIII To Own Halo 2?
    Massive numbers expected for sequel at launch in Japan.

November 22, 2004 - Halo 2 was widely publicized by Microsoft as being the largest money-making launch in the history of entertainment releases, with over 125 million in first day sales. Well look out, Master Cheif, you're facing off against Slime!

Retail reports out of Japan indicate that Square Enix and the Japanese retail community are expecting even more out of Dragon Quest VIII when it sees Japanese launch on 11/27. Apparently, Square Enix plans to ship more than 2.5 million copies of the game for its first shipment, arriving to stores in time for the Saturday launch.

As large as it is, the initial shipment may not be able to meet retailer demand. On top of the original allotment of 2.5 million copies promised by Square Enix, retailers had apparently demanded additional copies totaling over 700,000 units. According to one retail source, Square Enix will only be able to provide 40% of that amount, leading up to total shipments of 2.78 million-or-so copies of the game.

When you consider how much Dragon Quest VIII actually costs, these numbers become even more impressive. Most stores are taking pre-orders for the game for the equivalent of $80, with same-day purchasers likely to have to shell out upwards of $90 at some stores. Assuming Square Enix manages to sell close to the initial allotment of 2.5 million copies on day one, DQVIII could see one day totals eclipsing even Halo 2's awesome numbers.

Of course, we're assuming that the game will do such massive business in its first day. But, given the large-scale pre-order campaign for the game, where Dragon Quest VIII is visible at every convenience store in the nation and the game's theme song can be heard at seemingly every street corner in Tokyo, first day sales could indeed be huge. Square Enix is anticipating such buzz from the game that it's opening up its customer support call center for special hours this Saturday and Sunday and will be fielding Dragon Quest VIII questions only.

Overall, the game should be able to pull Grand Theft Auto sized numbers. While Square Enix itself hasn't given out official estimates (all the numbers in this story are not official numbers), Hirokazu Hamamura of Enterbrain, the publisher of Japan's Famitsu videogame magazine, expects the game to top four million in sales eventually.

We should have some firm numbers early next week. But before that, stay tuned to IGNPS2 for coverage of the DQVIII launch and DQVIII itself on late Friday night in America.
    It would tickle me to no end to see this happen.

Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

2. GTA SA owns halo2, forget DQ8.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque
    I'll be impressed if it beats Halo 2 in America.
    It won't, and that's not even the point.
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.

4. Quote Originally Posted by OmniGear
    It won't, and that's not even the point.
    I know, but Japan and America are very different markets and this news hardly comes as a suprise to me. Halo 2 won't break records in Japan and DQVIII won't break records here.

I wasn't too impressed when Halo 2 sold it's millions of copies first day because we all saw it coming a mile away. When a game sells a tremendous amount to an audience that no one expected, then I'll be impressed.

5. IE, Katamari Damacy.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

6. It's about records and raw numbers, though.

Didn't Halo 2 break a bunch of records or something?

7. Quote Originally Posted by OmniGear
    It's about records and raw numbers, though.

Didn't Halo 2 break a bunch of records or something?
    Yeah, and that's great and all, but really who didn't see that coming? News is only news if it is new. Halo 2 selling a fuck ton first day was expected two years ago, if not more.

8. It's like Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa breaking Maris' record.

We all knew it was going to happen, but it was still a feat.

9. A feat of steroids?