Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retailer-exclusive GBA SP info thread 2004

1. Game Boy Advance Retailer-exclusive GBA SP info thread 2004

Last holiday season, there were a couple of retailers who got exclusive, seasonal print run colors of the GBA SP, Toys R' Us had light gold and Target had Lime Green. They both sold out very quickly and are pretty rare now, only a year later. I was wondering if the success of those SPs would trigger more exclusives this year, and it looks like indeed they have.

In today's ad, Best Buy debuted their exclusive, limited-edition SP for this holiday season today: Surf Blue.
    Same standard SP cost, $79.99. It's about a shade darker than the pearl blue one released in Japan, but has the usual metallic finish rather than the more flat finish that that one had. Looks nice, much better than the Cobalt that's been out, IMO.

That's it for now, I'll post further bulletins to this thread as events warrant.

...Got my fingers crossed for an orange like the Torchic one, sans the higher price and Torchic silhouette.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 10 Oct 2004 at 10:26 PM.

2. What's with Nintendo and pastels?

3. They're all the same colour on the inside... I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. Wait...
    Doesn't everyone here have an SP already?
    ...and isn't Nintendo coming out with that NEW handheld soon?
    (That is, "Why would people buy it?" not "Why would Nintendo make it?")

5. Well, it looked a bit darker in the 3/4 view they showed of it in their ad today, but this was the only pic on their website. It may appear lighter in this pic because of the glare off of it, being photographed directly facing slighty relective surfaces.

And Chao, people will undoubtedly still be buying a lot of SPs this year, probably more than DSes. I myself may pick up a new one and give my scratched up silver one to a friend.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 10 Oct 2004 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRyan
    What's with Nintendo and pastels?
    Well their market reseach shows that the three groups of people they haven't yet snared love pastels: children, girls, and gay people.

Or no, wait that doesn't make any fucking sense does it?

Maybe they just want Best Buy to think they're getting a blow job when it's really just a hired pygmy with a greased up hand servicing them. IE: Make your corporate friends feel special so they enjoy doing business with you.

Besides, I'm sure a number of Hello Kitty girls will trade in older sp's to get a blue that matches their goddamn wheeled backpacks.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

7. I love the design of the SP. I think the DS really tries to take the design and take it to that handheld platform, but it doesn't work as well. The slick geometry of the SP is partially what gives it the solid look it has. The DS has some weird tapering and beveling on the top of its casing that uglifies it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. i don't have an SP, don't plan on getting one..

the transition from GBA to DS will be enough for me.

If I had the willpower to pass on the NES one, that faggoty thing doesn't have a chance. Bring on the DS.

10. I saw this today at Best Buy. They also still had the NES GBAs as well. It was cool looking, but, like Yoshi and I think everyone else here -- I have a GBA of some sort and have no plans on buying another machine intill the DS, so this falls under "whatever."