Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Good anime for those who've never seen anime.

1. Ninja Good anime for those who've never seen anime.

There's a group of people I hang out with every now and then who have not seen any anime outside of maybe Dragonball Z because their little brother was watching it.

They also find me weird because I'm into that "crazy japanese cartoon stuff."
    I'd like to get together one day and show them anime is not just about tentacles and sensless violence.

So, far, all I have in my collection that's not totally off the wall is Princess Mononoke, and maybe even Macross Plus. (Otaku no Video and Akira are out of the question.) I'd like to keep it to movie length as well. They're mostly girls, so that might help things out.

I want to say the obvious before anybody else does:

Cowboy Bebop
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi128
    So, far, all I have in my collection that's not totally off the wall is Princess Mononoke, and maybe even Macross Plus.
    Eh, I'd go against the Macross Plus for such a purpose but you should definately add Spirited Away to Mononoke. Depending on their taste and attention span I might suggest Ghost in the Shell but I'd have to know them to say whether or not that'd be a good choice. I've also heard a lot of good things about Grave of the Fireflies and Wings of Honneamise but I haven't actually seen either.

4. i'd say the ruroni kenshin ova. the first disc, anyway.
    spirited away and kiki's delivery service are good, too.

edit: ah, maybe not the kenshin disc, then. it's brilliant, but extraordinarily violent. go with spirited away or kiki.
    Last edited by epmode; 24 Nov 2004 at 10:33 AM.

5. Dead Leaves, Puni Puni Poemy, Apocolypse Zero.
    That was easy.

OMFGREALANSWER: Anything Miyazaki, though Castle of Cagliostro stands out most of all. C'mon, it's Lupin!

Girls eh? And movie length?

Ghibli/Miyazaki is great for this.

Castle in the Sky
    Kiki's Delivery Service
    Spirited Away

Those are all better than Princess Mononoke in the whimsy department (Mononoke is great too, mind you, just different feeling than those). It's too bad Whisper of the Heart isn't out because that is the sweetest movie. My favorite.

However, I've never had a problem with THESE GUYS. But you must do what you feel is right. (*edit* It's backordered! Sorry.)

It's too bad you want to keep it to movie length, tho.

Series:

A couple of Romantic comedies:

Maison Ikkoku
    Kimagure Orange Road

These are shonen so they aren't the girly type character designs. Both are quite funny and pretty romantic but also have a touch of melancholy to them that is nice.
    Last edited by Scourge; 24 Nov 2004 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi128
    There's a group of people I hang out with every now and then who have not seen any anime outside of maybe Dragonball Z because their little brother was watching it.

They also find me weird because I'm into that "crazy japanese cartoon stuff."
    I'd like to get together one day and show them anime is not just about tentacles and sensless violence.

So, far, all I have in my collection that's not totally off the wall is Princess Mononoke, and maybe even Macross Plus. (Otaku no Video and Akira are out of the question.) I'd like to keep it to movie length as well. They're mostly girls, so that might help things out.
    meh just FTUTA, the entire lot of them. People like that are so worthless.

In this day and age if you don't like or at least know what anime is, you are a dumb, worthless ass.

So just FTUTA, and be done with it.

What type of movies do they like. Finding anime in those genre's would probably help you out too.
    Taking it one day at a time.

9. My cousin is a huge ex football playing kid who spends all his time either working out or drinking. He used to kid around and call anime afganastanimation because he just htought it was going to be the dumest thing ever. He was definetely the last person I expected to watch and anjoy anime, but then one day he watched Princess Mononoke with me and he fucking loved it. Since then I've got him to watch a bunch of stuff, but the only things he has liked out of my collection atleast are Noir, Cowboy Bebop, Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, Lupin III and Trigun. Everything elese he thouight was to out there.

10. Millenium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers would be probably be good bets.