Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My comp is rebooting itself

1. Quote Originally Posted by The_Meach
    Well, it's working now.

But I was talking to my boss from work and he said it might be a memory module that isn't properly seated (but this thing's been working just fine the last 3 months and I haven't been moving it or anything so I don't know). He also said it could be a "boot virus" or something? Anybody know what that could be?

At least it's working.

For now.
    yeah after you said it goes to the memory counting screen i immediately thought bad stick of ram. always run spyware/virus stuff first. if its still there the sharkyextreme forums are a GREAT place to get stuff sorted out.

2. Yes, sounds like it might be hardware-related. Try re-seating all your ram sticks and cards and shit. Also, is your computer set to auto-reboot on a BSOD?

edit: and for the love of christ learn the metric system, I saw that 100F and it sounded awfully high.

3. Quote Originally Posted by cka
    Also, is your computer set to auto-reboot on a BSOD?
    This is the first step you should have taken. If you didn't change the setting for this, then your XP machine is set to reboot automatically upon a major failure (BSOD, for example). If it's doing that, then you can see what the failure is by turning the sumbitch option off.

4. Dreamcast

Quote Originally Posted by cka
    Yes, sounds like it might be hardware-related. Try re-seating all your ram sticks and cards and shit. Also, is your computer set to auto-reboot on a BSOD?
    I'm going to try reseating the RAM when I get a chance. What is BSOD <edit> </edit> and how would I change the auto-reboot option (is this in the BIOS or an option in XP?).

Quote Originally Posted by cka
    edit: and for the love of christ learn the metric system, I saw that 100F and it sounded awfully high.
    Sorry. I'm a sucker for Empire. 37C.

[ADDED]Feh. Modifying the registry? No way. Unless it will tell me, precisely, what the problem is. Anybody know?[/ADDED]
    Last edited by The_Meach; 30 Nov 2004 at 03:40 PM.
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion