Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ken Jennings loses tonight

1. For the amount of work he put in it does seem like he should be getting more money, but 2.5 is still alot (and like the Million he will actually get is still alot).

Plus who the hell can name any of the "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" winners or anything, this guy made himself a minor celebrity out of just being so damned smart.
    Barf! Barf! Barf!

2. Quote Originally Posted by JefmcC
    I wonder if he will get any endorsement deals?
    He got signed to some talent agency and they're thinking about making him a game show host.

3. Quote Originally Posted by cka
    I think Ken was just getting bored of trouncing all over everybody and threw the game. If I was in his shoes I'd gladly mindlessly bullshit my way to final jeopardy to lose if I was coming out with 2 and a half million...

And think, he'll be back for the next Tournament of Champions.
    I would've tried to milk it as far as I could go. What you said there sounds plausible however- Ken could've been burned out and wanting to take his money home.

The one thing that I don't like in Jeopardy is that every one of the losers walks away with nil. If you lose, you forfeit your winnings for that night- bleh.

One show that had some great potential winnings was Maury Povich's Twenty-One. Every game won was set on a pyramiding scale- your first victory would net you $25,000. After each game the winner went to the bonus round for another possible $210,000. Your seventh game would be worth $1,000,000. After 7 wins, you'd repeat the cycle again.

Game 1 $25,000
    Game 2 $50,000
    Game 3 $100,000
    Game 4 $250,000
    Game 5 $500,000
    Game 6 $750,000
    Game 7 $1,000,000

$2,675,000 minimum for going all the way, and you'd keep playing from there- Damn.

One contestant I saw on Twenty-One got to the million dollar game, but unfortunately was snuffed out there. His final total was around 2 million, so he didn't do too bad- he raked it in a hell of a lot faster than Ken Jennings.

Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude
    One contestant I saw on Twenty-One got to the million dollar game, but unfortunately was snuffed out there. His final total was around 2 million, so he didn't do too bad- he raked it in a hell of a lot faster than Ken Jennings.
    True, but I'm sure he didn't get the exposure that Ken Jennings is getting. EVERYONE knows what I'm talking about when I mention "the Jeopardy guy".

5. Quote Originally Posted by Clash Master
    For the amount of work he put in it does seem like he should be getting more money
    $2.5 million is a fuckload of cash for 37.5 hours worth of work.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Fighter-X
    True, but I'm sure he didn't get the exposure that Ken Jennings is getting. EVERYONE knows what I'm talking about when I mention "the Jeopardy guy".
    Jennings did have to stay on a long time to get his money, plus he's got the vast number of wins it required. He had to work harder for it.

Twenty-One kind of fizzled out rather quick, running only from January to May of 2000. David Legler's exact amount was $1,765,000. Twenty-One probably was helped along in its slide into obscurity by the fact it was trying to contend with Regis Philbin's far more popular Millionaire.

7. Quote Originally Posted by JefmcC
    I wonder if he will get any endorsement deals?
    I don't think Ken got any money out of this, but I saw a Fed-Ex ad in the newspaper not too long ago that showed Jennings on the show with "Fed-Ex" written on his screen...
    and the ad said something to the effect of, "the only time Fed-Ex was ever the wrong answer".

it made me lol kinda.
    MK2 on XBLA plz - let the unfolding of gameplay begin!!

8. Quote Originally Posted by IMDB
    Jennings To Return to 'Jeopardy!'

The producers of Jeopardy!, which has seen its ratings fall from a 13.0 on the day of Ken Jennings' last appearance to an average 7.6 last week, plan to bring back the all-time champ for a "super tournament" with previous five-time winners beginning in February. "Ever since Ken started his amazing run, people have been speculating on how some of the past Jeopardy! players would do against him," host Alex Trebek said in a statement. "We're answering that question." In the same statement, Jennings was quoted as saying, "I've been a fan of the show for a very long time, and I well remember some of the big players. I would love the opportunity to meet them on the Jeopardy! field of battle. I can't wait to see who I'll be up against in the finals." Jennings, who earned $2.5 million during his winning streak could presumably add an additional $2 million to that figure.
    Cool.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

9. ken jennings has now changed his name to shao kahn. Its kind of funny he has become such a ratings monster that they bring him back for a "boss battle"
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.

10. HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER

SOURCE
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt