Thread: Favorite Artist

1. Favorite Artist

For me it used to be Da Vinci hands down his stuff is pretty incredible. But then earlier this year I discovered...

El Greco

He's now my new artistic idol. Later it will probably go back to Da Vinci (as about five years ago I claimed Thomas H Benton as my favorite), but for now I remain partial to the Greek.

Born Domenikos Theotokopoulos in 1541, he was a Greek who traveled to study in Spain, hence the name. What’s great about his paintings is that although they’re from the renaissance period, a time when most art focused on realism and appear light and soft (or like some of Leonardo’s dark but polished), they are dark and bold, the features are exaggerated, the colors feel richer, all creating an image that is more dynamic than anything else from that time. The only downside to his work is that he was primarily hired by the church so his subjects are limited. As my girlfriend says he likes to paint the cholo Jesus.

(his, but typical style of time)

(The El Greco style)

Other Nods

Thomas Hart Benton

Frank Miller

Geof Darrow

There you have my picks.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 01 Dec 2004 at 06:19 PM. Reason: premature post-a-tion... done now.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. *Coughcough*

I had meant for that winded tanget of a thread to function as a list of peoples faved artists, but if your including more early works from artists in greek and roman eras(and snazy pics of thier work) than you can carry on as designed. I guess I didn't keep up enough with my own thread, and there was too much modern date stuff, so it became tired.

Hope you don't mind the plug, though.