23. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Guardian Legend

14 60.87%
  • Golvellius

9 39.13%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8-bit Compile Adventure Battle

1. Quote Originally Posted by Sqoon
    I think that's a good example of the tough 3d transition. Alundra was great, but Alundra 2 (a joint venture between Matrix and Contrail/Media Vision) was such a turd I can't believe that the same people worked on both games. (I think they both share the same director and/or designer or something like that.)
    Well, it's not like the Matrix team always produced top qulity stuff when they were part of Climax either. Ever play LadyStalker?

Alundra 2 though had minimal Matrix involvement though iirc, mostly supervisory. Matrix also helped ChunSoft out on Torneko 3 and Arte Piazza on the DQV Remake iirc... I'd just like to see them do another full blown ARPG soon.

Quintet and WestOne should do some GBA too I'd think. They're both still around, but doing primairly grunt work assisting on other developers games. Ancient also, they need to stop making medicore Pokeclones and make another Oasis. I'm amazed at how few companies are exploiting cheap GBA & mobile development.

2. First of all everyone needs to check out Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. It really is a great game in the 3D Zelda style.

Secondly, is Dual Hearts turn based or real time combat? For some reason I just lumped it in with all the other RPGs and assumed it was turn based, which I hate.

Landstalker and Alundra are 2 of my all time favorites. I would love to get something new from the people behind those games. I'm not sure how I missed the info on Dual Hearts about the team that did it.

3. I got to the final boss on Guardian Legend wth 99 EEs and still couldn't beat him. I read a review once that said the ending was really awesome. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by jarrod
    Well, it's not like the Matrix team always produced top qulity stuff when they were part of Climax either. Ever play LadyStalker?
    Ladystalker was weird, but I thought it was still decent.

I just checked the credits at MobyGames, and Alundra and Alundra 2 have the same primary director, and both the primary director of Alundra 1+2 and co-director of Alundra 2 did programming and design on Landstalker.

Is Climax still even alive? Do they or Sega own the Landstalker license?

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Joe
    First of all everyone needs to check out Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. It really is a great game in the 3D Zelda style.
    Really? I had no clue..

Secondly, is Dual Hearts turn based or real time combat? For some reason I just lumped it in with all the other RPGs and assumed it was turn based, which I hate.
    It's real time and it's similar to Alundra in some ways (for example, the story also revolves around the main character's ability to enter dreams).

4. Quote Originally Posted by Sqoon

Really? I had no clue..

It's real time and it's similar to Alundra in some ways (for example, the story also revolves around the main character's ability to enter dreams).

Yes really. I still can't believe this game didn't do WAY better. If you enjoyed any of the 3D Zeldas you should dig Sphinx. It had its minor problems but they don't detract from the great experience, not to mention you won't spend more than like 12 buck for it brand new.

I'm all over Dual Hearts, thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by toxic
    I almost said Neutopia, but figured it was a SMS game ... I never knew/played the sequel ... cool.
    The SMS has a game that rips off Zelda even more than Neutopia does - Golden Axe Warrior. GAW is quite good but I would definitely enjoy it more if it had more originality.

I'm disappointed with the decline of the Japanese ARPG lately too. The lack of Monster World and the fact that I didn't enjoy the last few Zeldas as much are the major blows for me.

On the other hand I have been very impressed with Western action/adventure and ARPGs lately.

6. Oh man, it is a crime I still haven't played Guardian Legend. Once I have enough money to get a top loading NES to replace my blinker I will for sure be picking it up.