Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The server is too busy at the moment. Please Try again later.

1. The server is too busy at the moment. Please Try again later.

Yeah.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

Sucks, doesn't it?
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. I AM TOO BUSY AT THE MOMENT TO RESPOND TO YOUR POST.

...but I'll try again later.

4. Time for a new server.

5. Didn't we just move servers a few months ago?

What are we running this thing off? How long does it take to go,

"SELECT * FROM vb_members WHERE......." and then do some PHP stuff with it?

Somebody export me a fairly large SQL list and I'll tell you how long it takes on my 450MHz Mac.

6. I thought it was just me; since I live in Australia, I thought the Koalas were chewing on the tin can rope between Sydney and California again.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

7. Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlue
    I thought it was just me; since I live in Australia, I thought the Koalas were chewing on the tin can rope between Sydney and California again.
    No way, dude, I went to the Queen Mary and checked that rope the other day and it's as toight as a tiger, yes.

8. Sometimes the server gets bogged down when it's running log stats, live with it geez... Threads like these make me believe none of you have ever seen sunlight

9. Quote Originally Posted by cka
    Sometimes the server gets bogged down when it's running log stats, live with it geez... Threads like these make me believe none of you have ever seen sunlight
    It shouldn't happen - these boards aren't that busy.

10. There are other sites hosted on the server as well, and take this into consideration:

On average, every page request on the forums uses roughly 4 sql queries (some use more, some use less, but that's a happy medium.) And there's roughly 80 online users at any given time (another ballpark here, and this is JUST these forums - not including tnl's main site nor the other hosted site), so keep that number in mind. Also, right now I think there's about 10 mysql servers running at 13mb per process.

4 * 80 = 360 queries going at any given time,

10 * 13 = 130 mb of ram used at any given time

AND the ram usage goes up if queries aren't stored in the mysql server's cache because it needs the memory to allocate the data pulled from the mysql server and interprit into PHP.

Now, let's include the background services for the server. This includes:

website admin frontend
    server admin frontend
    spam filters
    mail servers (IMAP, SMTP, POP3)
    ftp server
    on average there's about 40 or 50 http servers running at any given time, ~1-5mb a peice depending on what its processing
    mysql servers
    website stats programs

... And this ALSO does not include stuff that runs to keep the operating system up and running. So yea, if you wanna do all that math on average the server takes up a hefty amount of "heaping fuckton"mb of ram usage at any given time. Sometimes processes take priority (such as the aforementioned log processors, nick absolutely loves one that HOARDS ram), and when this happens everything else suffers.

Something else to keep in mind: this servers hardware is no better than any six-month old high-end desktop server. I think it's like a P4 2 GHz machine with 1024mb ram.

Bottom line: Shit happens and sometimes the server gets busy, it's not the end of the world.