Thread: Legend of Zu US theatrical release CANCELLED! Going to video

1. Legend of Zu US theatrical release CANCELLED! Going to video

Here are the news from www.monkeypeaches.com :

"After pushing theatrical release twice and one disaster screen test, Miramax is no long planning to show THE LEGEND OF ZU, renamed as ZU WARRIORS by Miramax, on the big screen in North America. According to Upcomingmovies.com, it will likely go straight to video sometime this year. Jackie Chan's THE ACCIDENTAL SPY, which was made in 2000, will also skip theaters and go straight to video on August 13, 2002. Both of them are Miramax's re-edited versions of the original."

2. Re: Legend of Zu US theatrical release CANCELLED! Going to video

Originally posted by Despair
    Here are the news from www.monkeypeaches.com :

"After pushing theatrical release twice and one disaster screen test, Miramax is no long planning to show THE LEGEND OF ZU, renamed as ZU WARRIORS by Miramax, on the big screen in North America.
    Wow, so even the test viewers panned it? Gotta admit, I'm not really a big fan of this movie, but I'd want it released in theaters so that other (read: better) HK movies might make it to the big screen here.

Oh well, there's still Shaolin Soccer, which was awesome and should be great in theaters if it isn't dubbed too cheesily (there's enough cheese as is).

3. ...

I am actually glad about this news because it means less people will hopefully take notice of it. Because if they do, it will further support the belief that HK films are cheesy dubbed non-sensical movies.

This is my main question-- Why are HK film companies allowing Miramax to buy their films when they know what the company is doing to them? It seems like common sense. Of course Shaolin Soccer is going to be butchered beyond belief. The film will never work dubbed, it just can't. It will be an unwatchable disaster.

Why not sell the films to Columbia/Tristar who have proven that they care about the original intent of the films rather than simply milking them for money.

It would be like HK buying the Godfather and editing and redubbing it in Chinese-- now wouldn't the public be more than a little pissed off about that? So why not the same respect for Chinese films...
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

4. I completely agree with you ssbomberman.

Dubbing in an anime, I'll allow. But, in a HK film, dubbing just never EVER works.
    -Mullet Jockey-
    Check out my site!
    Eat. Sleep. Music.