Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 616181920

Thread: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

1. I thought it was great.

In many, many ways, this movie is the book. Much moreso than the Gene Wilder version. The only place where they really differed was the ending. But that was almost required because of the (also new) background story for Wonka. I didn't particulary care for that, but it didn't detract from the movies' good points, I feel.

I love the music. Have them on my computer and listen to them every now and then. Musically they are much better than the songs in the original; much more inventive and involving (and to me more fun). The lyrics are straight out of the book (a lot of passages were cut, probably for time restraints), and the changing of styles I enjoyed. I can see people liking the original songs more, though; they had a charm about them that these songs don't have. But as far as listening outside of the movie, only "Pure Imagination" is a worthy song.

I don't see outside of physical appearance the whole "MJ" thing with Willy Wonka. Outside of being a recluse, their personalities are nothing alike. And I agree with the complaints about the kids outside of Charlie: they were barely there it seemed. The movie flew by so fast since there was so little interraction with them. But that's the thing about this adaptation; it's all about Charlie. And he was great here. Much more believable.

Overall, I'd probably give it to the original, but there are many things I liked better in the Burton version. Only time will tell if it holds up as well.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy
    Only thing I found weird about the movie is how non-chalant everyone was about all the crazy shit around them. I mean the boat ride was fucking nuts. It's like everyone had done it a million times before so it was no big deal doing a buck fifty down a chocolate river tunnel with rapids.
    You mean...you've never done that?

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."