Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Ed from Cowboy Bebop

1. Ed from Cowboy Bebop

I'm new so I'm not too sure if topics like this are discussed, but there are a lot of talented voiceover actors out there in anime. I'm not very familiar with the non english ones, but Ed is my favorite character from Bebop, and
    the woman who does her voice is amazing!!

A very thorough website on her is located at http://melissa.wicked-popular.com/

Her name is MELISSA FAHN (aka melissa Charles, Tina Dixon, Heather Lee Joelson).

If anyone is interested in who she is and what else she does (She has done some other anime stuff such as El Hazard and Digimon stuff I highly suggest you check it out.

Oh, she also does the voice of Hello Kitty and that amuses me
    Last edited by Powershot3; 09 Dec 2004 at 11:50 PM.

Giltch Guest
    Her voice makes me want to kill myself everytime I hear her out of character. But I guess for a character like Ed, it fits.

3. ...

dubs

You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. Some dubs aren't bad in the slightest, especially Cowboy Bebop. Some other notable dubs are Yu Yu Hakusho and Last Exile.

5. Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword
    Some dubs aren't bad in the slightest, especially Cowboy Bebop. Some other notable dubs are Yu Yu Hakusho and Last Exile.
    Nope, always watch things in their original language (with subs of course) films, anime, french, japanese, venusian, whatever.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb
    Nope, always watch things in their original language (with subs of course) films, anime, french, japanese, venusian, whatever.
    I make it a point to watch any anime I get in both the original language and the dubs. I believe that as much as one can visually accept and fully understand a different cultural viewpoint, understanding the nuances in language and emoting are things you need to be influenced by and exposed to for a long time, preferably at a young age.

So I think that in listening to it in Japanese and READING the english has a way of diminishing the effect. The impact just isn't there like it would be if you could listen and understand rather than read and understand.

A truly brilliant dub will impart the same emotional reaction in a viewer in english like the Japanese version did for a native speaker.

7. I listen to dubs mainly, and every so often, I'll give the original language a shot with subtitles. Ed's voice actress did a great job with what she had to work with, which is more than can be said for most anything involving dubs.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

8. I usually watch what I hear first, which is usually the dub. But for cases like Azumanga Daioh or the original BGC, subs.

I hated Ed when she was first introduced in the series, oh how that changed. Christ, I need to dust off my Bebop DVDs.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mr-K
    I usually watch what I hear first, which is usually the dub. But for cases like Azumanga Daioh or the original BGC, subs.

I hated Ed when she was first introduced in the series, oh how that changed. Christ, I need to dust off my Bebop DVDs.
    The only dubs I can't stand are ones that use American southern accents on characters with Kanto accents. It's not the choice to do so, I guess it's kind of clever. It's just that I can't stand the "Southern Belle" accent at all.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mr-K
    I usually watch what I hear first, which is usually the dub. But for cases like Azumanga Daioh or the original BGC, subs.
    YUSS.
    Though, sometimes dubs can be VERY entertaining. Genma Wars had the best dub ever. Even Media Blasters said, "Oh, that one got a special dub..."
    No, I will NEVER shut up about that show.
    Give it the fuck back to me, TrialSword.