Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Omega Drivers ready for ATI cards

1. New Omega Drivers ready for ATI cards

Finally, Omega released the new Omega Drivers based on the 4.12 beta drivers.

If you don't know what they are, Omega Drivers are the ATI drivers custom enhanced to work better for games.

On the last set of drivers, I easily got a 10-15 fps difference on all my games using Omega's set of drivers, and since these are mods of the HL 2 drivers (beta 4.12), I'm very excited to use these.

Use at your own risk, if you don't know what you're doing steer clear, but if you want a better set of drivers then ATI provides check these out.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Just to clarify.... these aren't official in any way, and they are all done by one guy (Omega).
    Last edited by Roufuss; 11 Dec 2004 at 09:42 PM.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

2. Try 'em out and let us know how they do.

3. Awesome.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. I might check them out later

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy
    Try 'em out and let us know how they do.
    Well, tonight I'm going to be finishing up Metroid Prime 2.

But if they are anything like the Omega 4.10 beta's, then they will be extremely awesome and put ATI to shame.

Basacially, as I understand it, ATI's drivers are geared more towards benchmark's (and sometimes games, like HL 2), while Omega optimizes them for more emphasis on all games (and not just one or two).

I was pushing around 47 FPS on Doom 3 with all the settings on high, and once I got Omega's 4.10 drivers I was pushing over 60.

If you're worried, just keep a backup of ATI's drivers handy just in case.

6. I like Omega's stuff, but he cuts corners that ATi can't. I've been using these for my Mobility 9700 for a few days and they work great.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams
    I like Omega's stuff, but he cuts corners that ATi can't.
    can you explain? curious.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams
    I've been using these for my Mobility 9700 for a few days and they work great.
    The new ones?

If so, that's good to hear, since I've yet to read up about them.

9. Yeah, the new ones.

Anyway, I don't mean to make it sound like he cheats or anything. His drivers are less guaranteed to work with a random card. When the internal "speed" tweaks are activated, there's a greater chance of the drivers failing at a given point. The chance is not large, but it's probably not enough to get WHQL certification.

10. I've got them installed... I'll try them out with HL2 shortly... once I can get off of AIM.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.