Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 313151617

Thread: War of The Worlds - Steven Spielberg

1. Quote Originally Posted by Regus
    Why not? After the first 25 minutes they cram every war cliche ever into a single a film.
    Considering it's an accurate depiction of a war, what did you expect going into it?

Giltch Guest
    "Great foreplay, failed orgasm." -Rolling Stone

Best analogy ever.

3. Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog007
    Did you really just call SPR crap?
    I'm not entitled to my opinion all of the sudden? I didn't ask anyone else to agree with me.

4. Quote Originally Posted by dakidski
    Well, perhaps Spielberg should have built up to the 'shields down' scene, by showing an actual scene wherein birds were destroyed by the tripods shields?
    Wasn't there a scene earlier where the birds couldn't get near them (not to mention how everytime birds flew by the movie stopped to highlight them)? They weren't offensive zap-things-with-lightning shields or anything.

5. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    Wasn't there a scene earlier where the birds couldn't get near them (not to mention how everytime birds flew by the movie stopped to highlight them)? They weren't offensive zap-things-with-lightning shields or anything.
    It is true they focus heavily on the birds in earlier scenes, but I don't remember any exposition where it was clarified that birds couldn't get near the Tripods. (and I rewatched the movie last night).

You are right about the shields though, they werent that standard 'zap' type, funny how narrow-minded you can get with hollywood clichés.
    nocturne:
    "I view terrorists as freedom fighters."

6. I dont know why, but i suddenly wanted to watch this again today. So i did.
    The first time i watched it, i really didnt care for it. Dakota annoyed the crap out of me, the filters and over exposure annoyed the crap out of me, and sonny boy living annoyed the crap out of me.
    This time, dakota's screaming wasnt as bad (because i wasnt in a theater with the volume cranked to 11?), i appreciated the cinematography, and soony boy still should have died.
    Looking through this thread, many of you said "batman begins was so much better."
    I would never watch that movie again. I would watch this again.
    The train scene is still awesome as hell.

7. Holy shit, the son should have been paste. I hated that he showed up alive at the end.

8. Yes! The train scene is so awesome. So chilling.

This was a pretty good movie. I saw it again recently on TV.

I agree with Dole that the son should have died. Him simply showing up alive in Boston at the end of the movie robs the ending of its full emotional impact. But the movie overall is pretty awesome. Tom Cruise's sofa-jumping antics kinda overshadowed it.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood