Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gantz' Horrible US Release Gimmick

1. Gantz' Horrible US Release Gimmick

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeonDVD
    Gantz, a series which starts soon that runs twenty-six episodes (and ADV has said at conventions that they're viewing it as one series as opposed to two seasons), is apparently being brought out in a different way here. The first volume has been solicited with the two episodes at $17.99 on 02/08/2005. According to information posted in the AnimeNation News section, this series will be a thirteen (13) volume release, presumably at the same price point for all volumes. There's plenty of pricing calculations that you can do where it even comes out slightly cheaper ($6 cheaper than an eight volume release) but I don't think people will really care on that point.

With this news, it's pretty likely that we'll only be covering the releases of this series and not the actual reviews. In my mind, this is completely the wrong way for releases to go for a number of reasons. If this is simply a marketing gimmick, it may work with those who don't know what's going on. I'd hazard a guess that it's related to the Japanese release, which had three episodes on the first disc and two on subsequent discs, of which only the first thirteen episodes have been released to DVD so far.

This is not a release pattern I want anything to do with or even to seemingly give some tacit approval of by providing reviews for. Thirteen volumes for twenty-six episodes is simply unacceptable.
    I used the AoD quote because Beveridge sounds...er...reads funny when packaging "offends him." Good show.
    But, yeah. That's a bit much, isn't it?

2. That whole review confused me. What ADV is doing is they are gonna release the un-cut versions which clock in longer than the TV versions. So they are gonna put 2 episodes per disc which will run around 50+ minutes total. I think thats why it will be around 17 bucks.

3. Retarded. DVDs should have 4-5 episodes at least.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. And I continue to download the Gantz manga, because the anime is worthless anyways.

5. LOL, you kids and your outrage.

Back in the day ADV's 26 ep series VHS releases were always 13 volumes, $19.99 for dubbed and $29.99 for subbed. And the only people that sold them sold them at that exact MSRP, no discount.

These DVDs will go for $11 or $12 each at Best Buy, that ain't so bad, considering 2 vols will be about the same price as some other single anime with 3 or 4 episodes a disc. It all evens out.

Naw, don't get me wrong, though, it's still stupid. Especially considering how much space that's gonna take up (still less than VHS, of course).
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 16 Dec 2004 at 07:26 PM.

6. Speaking of space, some show releases are absolutely insane, like the Inu Yasha 3 episodes per DVD crap. Even shows that are pretty good about their episode count can take up alot of space if there's a good many episodes. Yu Yu Hakusho alone takes up 26 volume spaces.

7. I've bought anime since it was $30 for a tape with two eps, and that was it. Now, the DVD medium has allowed anime to really shine, and the companies basically have little choice but to get as many releases out there, but with the high costs of localizing them, the prices are to be expected. I'm still appreciative to Geneon for putting five-six episodes on each Lupin disc. Here's a review of a preview version of Gantz - http://www.dvdvisionjapan.com/gantz.html Speaking of this site, they've butchered Lupin's name something fierces "Lupan", ugh.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 18 Dec 2004 at 01:01 AM.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    Retarded. DVDs should have 4-5 episodes at least.
    Batman and Transformers DVD sets packed about 20-25 episodes a piece in them, and ranged for 25-40 bucks. Hell, even Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Invader Zim pack about 9-14 episodes a piece and go for about 15 bucks.

Anime is just released like this because the fans buy it regardless. I know there's no way in hell I'd own the Batman animated series if I had to spend 15-20 bucks on 3-4 episodes at a time.

These anime companies just like to squeeze every little dollar they can, because the fans bend over and take it. It's pretty funny that this only happens on anime releases, too. "Hey, we're going to sell you the Simpsons season 4, but instead of charging you 30-35 bucks for all the eps, you can pay 15 bucks for 3 at a time!"

If they packed the whole series of any particular set into a 40-50 dollar dvd, I'd maybe get back into anime again at retail.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword
    Speaking of space, some show releases are absolutely insane, like the Inu Yasha 3 episodes per DVD crap. Even shows that are pretty good about their episode count can take up alot of space if there's a good many episodes. Yu Yu Hakusho alone takes up 26 volume spaces.
    Don't forget those Dragonball Z ep's, think they had 3 to a DVD on those too. I remember wanting to pick up the Yu Yu Hakusho DVD's, but I just couldn't put down all the money for all those releases.
    Last edited by Roufuss; 18 Dec 2004 at 01:10 AM.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

9. Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss
    Batman and Transformers DVD sets packed about 20-25 episodes a piece in them, and ranged for 25-40 bucks. Hell, even Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Invader Zim pack about 9-14 episodes a piece and go for about 15 bucks.

These anime companies just like to squeeze every little dollar they can, because the fans bend over and take it. It's pretty funny that this only happens on anime releases, too. "Hey, we're going to sell you the Simpsons season 4, but instead of charging you 30-35 bucks for all the eps, you can pay 15 bucks for 3 at a time!"

If they packed the whole series of any particular set into a 40-50 dollar dvd, I'd maybe get back into anime again at retail.
    I think I said this back in Remnant's thread, but a lot of times American publishers must release shows according to how the Japanese owner and distributor wants them to be. There are a number of reasons for this:

1. It generates more money for the show in general.
    2. It discourages the importing of American discs from Japanese fans of the show, since the American DVD's are already a better deal than over there.

So while I'm sure the American publisher's are hardly weeping about it, they don't exactly have much say in the way the shows are released.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Speaking of this site, they've butchered Lupin's name something fierces "Lupan", ugh.
    No more than localized versions. Rupan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss

Anime is just released like this because the fans buy it regardless. I know there's no way in hell I'd own the Batman animated series if I had to spend 15-20 bucks on 3-4 episodes at a time.

Hi, yes, hello. Check out my recent thread listing a ton of cheap complete collection box sets being released as of late. And the titles you mention have a broader appeal and therefore get good sale prices when released, but true MSRP for Aqua Teen DVDs is $30, Simpsons seasons are $45-50.

And yeah, like TS said, keep in mind that Japan is paying like $30 for 2 ep DVDs. If ours get too generous, their industry could really face problems with importing US releases over buying the Japanese ones. Though of course the obvious solution is to emulate our generosity rather than continuing to fleece people for all they're worth.