Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "What's wrong with video game reviews?"

Quote Originally Posted by toxic
    Expectation ruins all reviews. It instills pre-conceived notions, and will make you rate an average game higher because you didn't expect it to have any merits.
    Gamespot's nominating Riddick for every category ever made is a symptom of this. The game was certainly good but I can't help but feel the complete lack of initial hype plus the fact that everyone expected it to suck for being a movie-based game contributed to it being way overpraised by them.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    I love him going off on sectioned reviews, which have been discouraged on GameFAQs for quite some time now, thank God.
    We have Gamepro to thank for that legacy.

3. (I am the answer to all your problems with game reviewers.)

4. Quote Originally Posted by Zerodash
    I really don't see what his point is. He seems to be talking in circles and just complaining about subjectivity.

My only problem with videogame reviews is the general lack of maturity in print gaming mags...

I didn't have the patinets(sp)sit trough that entire article myself. The writting didn't really seem to go anywhere. But I'll side with you on the maturity concept. And now you have factions like G4TechTv spread this problem into main media.

I came really close to writting a thread about the station, one that was meant to focus on how relative the broadcast performs to its audience, or how inclusive their were about the actually genre about video games and not just load up about 12 hours of air time with handsome faces, commercial stunts, and a non industrial, or workhard staff. The gaming segents of G4TechTv have yet to influnce me with their integrity and seriousness over the field. It's just an aimless magazine show at this point. G4TehcTv can do a better good by using the space they are given for essay writters and real journalism by different writters in the gaming faction(the web is full of poeple with noteworthy endeavours in the gaming field[magazines themselves could welcome themselves to a few interviews]. It's not just fill with Red and Blue fans and Flashcartoonists) that will give the network strength and integrity by actually giving the people in the genre a voice.

End rant. Sorry for that. The thread would have a more educated standpoint(I'd hate to seem like a guy how like to hear himself talk,...type) so you don't have to purly take my rendition on the network to form your own opinion. It's just tragic to see all this gross incompetence.

5. Quote Originally Posted by RyChus
    patinets(sp)
    Is there an award for most impressively bad misspelling in the history of the internet? Because I would like to heartily endorse your nomination.

6. Quote Originally Posted by K3V
    IBTN.
    Ouch.

Okay, I'll be the first to tell you that I'm pretty informal when comes to writting in a public setting, or a forum, just like in the outside world, only I'd be speaking.<---case in point, that poorly phrased sen. I just made.

If the corny jokes that fill my post with are just a little too much, you can just say so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    Is there an award for most impressively bad misspelling in the history of the internet? Because I would like to heartily endorse your nomination.
    Yep. Even I can tatse the 'ironey'.

And that wasn't intentional.

I think I've overstayed me welcome...

7. Quote Originally Posted by RyChus
    Ouch.

Okay, I'll be the first to tell you that I'm pretty informal when comes to writting in a public setting, or a forum, just like in the outside world, only I'd be speaking.<---case in point, that poorly phrased sen. I just made.
    Can you point me to a review you've written then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

Maybe if games had more highbrow-quality content we'd get more highbrow-quality reviews.

What bomberman wants would be the new yorker, or yeah esquire of video games. I think the reasons we don't have that are:
    1) Serious gamers willing to work for these low-paying publications are not very good writers.
    2) Games are made mostly for the masses and the reviews are written for your average joe.

But those are both bullshit reasons. With some effort and corporate funding, I'm positive some businessman could find and put together some stellar writers that actually know what they are talking about. I'd actually like to see a magazine that was dedicated to mostly games, with most of the effort going to that category, and then a little bit to electronics/computers instead of some of these good electronics magazines that go the other way around.

I think it would become insanely popular. Great interviews, an obscure game section in every issue, blah and on. I'd read it.

Just as people are now realizing that games are much more popular and widespread than they thought, now that they have become mainstream, maybe the game writing industry and likewise shake its stigma of necessarily being composed of amateurs.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 16 Dec 2004 at 01:14 PM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

9. Quote Originally Posted by K3V
    Can you point me to a review you've written then?

I'm afraid not. The majority of my work is a few well graded college essays, poetry and a few fictional stories that I have yet to finish. That's it. Nothing that I have done(yet) is online.

I don't think that just becasue I hold a couple a literary achivements uder my belt that I posses an unmistakable rule over the literary sense. I say this becasue that's what I feel you searching for, my merit, and reasons for me to backup my claims. As it stands, I'm afriad I don't much merit.
    I just firgured that my voice in this thread was that of another cencerned party in the gerne, and nothing more. If I've on more that one ocasion have promtely put my foot in my mouth then I'll stop.

Edit:The reviewing gig that I'm under taking with a faimlar friend of my will be my first, so I'm trying to invole myself more in gaming facet. Just trying to be concered.

10. Quote Originally Posted by RyChus
    I'm afraid not. The majority of my work is a few well graded college essays, poetry and a few fictional stories that I have yet to finish. That's it. Nothing that I have done(yet) is online.

I don't think that just becasue I hold a couple a literary achivements uder my belt that I posses an unmistakable rule over the literary sense. I say this becasue that's what I feel you searching for, my merit, and reasons for me to backup my claims. As it stands, I'm afriad I don't much merit.
    I just firgured that my voice in this thread was that of another cencerned party in the gerne, and nothing more. If I've on more that one ocasion have promtely put my foot in my mouth then I'll stop.

Edit:The reviewing gig that I'm under taking with a faimlar friend of my will be my first, so I'm trying to invole myself more in gaming facet. Just trying to be concered.
    Fair enough. It just seemed ironic that a message in a thread criticizing game reviews was so riddled with bad spelling and grammar. Especially coming from someone claiming to be a reviewer themself.

I'll let this die now. I don't want to knock this thread too far off its rails.
    Last edited by K3V; 16 Dec 2004 at 01:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!