Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balanced Diet

1. Balanced Diet

I have a variety problem. I often find myself drawing characters from a certain angle at a certain distance. I've been trying to help it by trying new angles and such, but does anyone have any ideas?
    Go for broke.

I wish I could help bro. I have the same problem... whether its drawing on paper (which doesn't happen much anymore) or on the PC (tablet or mouse) I come at every single drawing the same way. Its lame.

3. Umm, 'Balaneced Diet'?
    I'd thought this would have been food related. But you must mean having a balanced outlook on your artistic design or something.

No problem though.

I'm not as far in my artisic level, as say, more professional and serious member are on this board, but the problem dosen't seem to far from my grasp so here's my take.

With characters you'd better off using techniques like having a wire frame for youe characters instead of just freehanding, which is way, I'm guessing, that you're having perspective problems. I suffered the same trial. And when a friend of mine, who is an increasing progressive artist who is a few required art entries away from having her work published, also had the same trouble. The thing was, as great of an artist she was, she hadn't trained her hand and her eyes to follow a set cousre when she drew something. It all came from her heart and her thoughts. And drawing directly from her heart was what she found easiet to do, while I find it best to have all my thoughts on what I draw in some sort of layout and add from there. Enough rammbling, though.

Just think of all the appendages of your charater(this include the head, legs arms torso and the waist) as different shapes, total separated from the body as a whole. The head can be a mere and unimpressive circle when you start out. But don't worry becasue your going to add all the feature that are on that head in due time. You just need to find out the overall size of the character first before you go about add details and stuff. Even if your character is fulling dressed and dosen't have a spec of skin showing on them, it is still the best decision to go with adding simple(and that's the key here. Make all the shapes as simple as possible.) shapes that are meant the demostrate the appoximate size of your character's apperance.

This post can be a lot shorter than it is now, so I'll leave a quick guideline you can use for starters. That, or until better, more noteworthy help comes along(You know who you are! Help the guy out, already.)

Head: Thick circles; roundness

Arms: Segment the length; first the forearm, then the biceps; use long ovals for them

Legs: Same application as the arms; don't forget that it will determine how tall your character is!

Chest, or torso: Just go with a triangle; the two points on top being the shoulder length, and the bottom where the spine will rest; also, and this helps a lot, use a single staight line for the spine and how your characters back will perform

Waist: Remember that this is where the legs will go; an oval demostrating the approx. length can be used for them

Digits, the hands and feet: Now these are tough. Sometimes I just cop-out and save them for last, which you could do for yourself if you wish. But for better advice, think of the palm and the foot itself as quadrilateral shapes(shapes with four sides); for the hand you could even use half circles, and have the fingers spourt out from the flat surface; feet or shoes on the other hand(pun)..., I should tell you to just cope out draw what ever you see fit, but I can't think of an easy design for them outside of making the post even longer that it should be. Eh, what the hell. just draw what ever you see fit.

Try not to rush any new techinque that you learn. No matter what info anyone gives you, one might not see your most desired results at the snap of a finger. I'm afriad art dosen't work that way. Just use what ever tool are at hand and tailor them to your own personal style. And with that, and comitting some time to drawing everyday, you're more that certain to see improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    I wish I could help bro. I have the same problem... whether its drawing on paper (which doesn't happen much anymore) or on the PC (tablet or mouse) I come at every single drawing the same way. Its lame.

I didn't know Josh was on the same bandwagon. Let my know these words come to any aid. Though it would be better if someone like Furyfox would drop in with a hint or two. Dole too.

*Edit* Correction on the Furyfox name drop. It's now 'otherdane'. My apologizes.
    Last edited by RyChus; 19 Dec 2004 at 09:40 PM.

4. You know, as well said as that was, I'm sorry to say that doesn't help much. The only reason I say that, is, well, I never have, nor need to at this point, use frames, much like your friend aforementioned. I have been drawing long enough to know how a person is supposed to look, but I just found myself relying on the same angle and distance. What I really am asking for is some good ideas to get some variety. I've started work on bust-like views, but I've yet to try profiles, overheads, or any of the like.

Another problem I've encountered is that character designs I've been using for 2 years now don't work from the left side, since I normally favor the right. Also, I find myself relying on the distance and over-used clothing wrinkles to mask the design simplicity, so I've been trying to work more up-close.

So, Rychus, I really appretiate the advice, but I've heard it before (especially at 'How to Draw Manga' at Otacon)

Thanks.
    Go for broke.

5. I see. When I have the same problem about enountering a new or unfarmlir perspective (especially overhead) I unfortunately just wing it. I use the basic steps that I just had mentioned earlier, and spend a large amount of time just tweaking and experimenting with what I have to work with. Odds are I'm probably more comfortible with my failures than I'm willing to admitt.

Also, you mentioned using a 'How to Draw Manga' seminar(that's a good start). I have a very small sense of the anime design, and I'm starting to see have my advice my have failed. I still(beleive it or not) left out some key details that I would have to use visual aids to better explain. So I'll be on the look out.

Maybe a few fans of the culture could even lead a hand, now that I think about it.
    I'm sure you people watch enough of the stuff to know how to help.
    Last edited by RyChus; 19 Dec 2004 at 11:29 PM.

6. Rychus, you're approaching this as if he's asking for advice on foreshortening and proportions in general, when he's not(though he'll probably need the advice once he starts drawing people at different angles, unless he's mastered human anatomy with 0 practice)

In anycase, and this goes for anyone, there's no great idea that goes into drawing people at angles you don't often use. You just force yourself to do it. If you always approach pictures the same way, then you need to change your approach =\ It's not a problem someone should have if they're actually aware of it. Draw the characters at variable distances from the camera and place the camera in unconventional positions, the only rule being that you don't place it in the same places you usually do.

Another problem I've encountered is that character designs I've been using for 2 years now don't work from the left side, since I normally favor the right. Also, I find myself relying on the distance and over-used clothing wrinkles to mask the design simplicity, so I've been trying to work more up-close.
    Design characters in 3 dimensions.

7. That's really the roundabout asumption that I wanted to make, the practice-makes-perfect version. I was just trying to put it more, well, gently, I figure.

It was hard for my to determine just where ewo was starting form, so I thought mentioning the step for perportion design was a good start, or at least an easy guide that he could perfect on with time.

"Design characters in 3 dimensions."

This is the main point I was trying to bring up. Always image that your character, or anything that your drawing, has hidden features; features that don't have enough room to make it on the page, but you should always acknowlegde anyhow Some may find it easier to go ahead and draw what won't be seen on paper, and just erase it afterward(I'm talking about ears, shoulders, or to exagerated hair follicles that the genre is so fond of ), to complete(and help) with the illiusion of depth.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Josh

Last edited by Hubbitron; 20 Dec 2004 at 08:18 AM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Design characters in 3 dimensions.
    It's not really that they don't work, per se, it's just that they look lopsided, or rather, they don't give the same effect that I'd like them to have. I have been trying to help it since I posted this thread, though.
    Go for broke.

10. I would think it would be diffuclt to draw on tablet, if yo cant see what your drawing ..