Thread: Getting TV out to work

1. Getting TV out to work

I'm thinking of using my machine to play DVD's and classic emulation on my TV. My videocard supports TV out, but when I rig it up it doesn't work.

What actual settings need to be played with?

2. You probably need to fuck around with timing settings in display properties. Make sure it's set to actually use TV-Out, make sure it's running interlaced at 30fps, set the timing right on the display, etc etc etc.

(this is assuming you're using a s-video cable and not dvi, if it's dvi it should be as easy as plug and play)

3. fixed it!

you can delete this thread now if you want.

Is it possible that Dell shipped me a case that covered up my TV out ports accidentally? Because my video card is supposed to support it, on the computer/system information the video card is described as having tv-out, but there aren't any ports on the back of my case that go to the video card.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia
    Is it possible that Dell shipped me a case that covered up my TV out ports accidentally? Because my video card is supposed to support it, on the computer/system information the video card is described as having tv-out, but there aren't any ports on the back of my case that go to the video card.
    ... there probably won't be an RF out on it. It's likely to either be composite or S-Video. Maybe even DVI (for HDTV/flatscreen panel connectivity).

It doesn't look like there's anything back there. Just some usb ports up at the top of the case for normal stuff, then the big monitor and printer ports, then at the bottom just the audio ports. It's not usb out, right? I'll take a picture of the case when I get home.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

7. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia
    It doesn't look like there's anything back there. Just some usb ports up at the top of the case for normal stuff, then the big monitor and printer ports, then at the bottom just the audio ports. It's not usb out, right? I'll take a picture of the case when I get home.
    I assume it's a laptop because otherwise the port is just on the video card. My Dell shipped with an adapter that hooks into a port that looks somewhat like an svideo port, but splits it off into composite, S video and audio. Check your boxes for it.

Often when you buy a computer they will use cheaper OEM versions of popular cards, so although if you bought the card on the shelf it would have a video out, the oem version they shipped Dell doesn't. That would be my guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX
    Often when you buy a computer they will use cheaper OEM versions of popular cards, so although if you bought the card on the shelf it would have a video out, the oem version they shipped Dell doesn't. That would be my guess.
    this would be the second time in 2 circuit board threads a big company fucked me over. That might be it, I'll ask a techie friend of mine to take a look at it. It would seriously suck if my card that thinks it has video out does not.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie