Page 1 of 21 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Funimation Announces DBZ First Two Seasons!

1. Funimation Announces DBZ First Two Seasons!

*FUNIMATION ANNOUNCES DBZ SEASON ONE AND TWO*

Quote Originally Posted by ICv2 News

November 24, 2004

FUNimation is planning to release the first 63 Dragon Ball Z episodes, complete and uncut, for the first time in the U.S. This new Dragon Ball Z DVD series will be titled the Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Uncut Special Editions.

Some of the material from these episodes was previously released in Ocean editions, which presented the material as it had been edited for broadcast. The first 63 episodes were edited down into 50 episodes, with many key segments, including major fight scenes (such as a key battle between Goku and Vegeta), heavily edited. FUNimation is re-recording the dubbed versions with voice actors consistent with the other FUNimation episodes; subtitled versions of each episode will, of course, also be included on the same discs. Both picture and sound will be of the highest quality, including 5:1 surround sound. Each disc will also include extras, including information about the history of Dragon Ball Z and the significance of these episodes. The discs will be packaged with new trade dress to reflect the nature of these special editions. The first two discs in the series will be released in April and June, 2005.

FUNimation is also giving a similar treatment to three Dragon Ball Z movies previously released by Pioneer in the late 1990s--The Dead Zone, The World's Strongest, and Tree of Might. The company will release the first in May, 2005, with at least one more to be released in 2005.

FUNimation will also continue releasing its own editions of the Dragon Ball Z movies in sequence. Movie #10 will be released on March 29th, #11 in August, and #12 and #13 to follow.

Although the TV exposure of the Dragon Ball Z property is not what it was (with Cartoon Network's Toonami block moved from its strip position to a Saturday night slot, see "Toonami Gets Saturday Night Fever"), these strong DVD releases, with a positioning to appeal to the older, "core" anime audience, will undoubtedly not only sell on their own, but also promote interest in all things Dragon Ball Z in 2005.
    This is utter BULLSHIT on Funimation's part! I mean what the fuck??....the FIRST disc isn't due til April...and it's only being released in indivisual volumes??? Utterly inexcusable!!!!!!

I have been avoiding watching Dragon Ball Z for years(last time I saw it was in like 2000 when the Buu saga was airing on CN) because I fell in love and was so amazed by the show I wanted to wait until I could experience it properly and watch it uncut and in order from start to finish! So I decided to quit watching it on CN and haven't seen it in 4 years!!

I want to start watching DBZ again when I purchase a new front projector in about four months and want to experience DBZ on a 110 inch screen in all its uncut glory! But with the way Funimation has been dicking around with this show, and now with the announcement that they're basically gonna take their sweet time releasing the first two seasons it just makes me wanna strangle them!

At this rate I am seriously considering buying both R2 Dragonboxes and having a third party DVD fansubber rip the English subs from Funi's discs and re-endoing them to the Dragonbox dvds accordingly. I realize this would cost and arm and a leg but it's better than waiting an eternity until all the dvds from Funi are out!

Has anyone here compared the video quality of Funimations dvds to the R2 Dragonbox dvds? I hear the dragonbox dvds absolutely DESTROY Funi's discs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gone

Dude, you are fucking HARDCORE!!!! Man, I thought I was a dedicated fan. If you can make that happen, fucking go for it . As for the Dragonboxes' video quality, I've got em' all and yes, the video quailty kills Funi's. Track those boxes down and do your thing man.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Universe

WHAM BAM What the fuck just happened there? THis is possibly the best post on the diffusionX board!!!!!!!

I would have the Dragonboxes by now, except that I still have to save up and fucking get box 1, and with Christmas, savings arent looking too fab right now... but right after christmas, it should be good (hey, 2 out of 3 isnt bad)!

But relaly, FUNimation, you don't need to do saiyaman on individual volumes, shit, you don't even need to do cell games on individual volumes. What you need to do is start a super platinum remastered version of the first two seasons, and continue with that all the way through.

Seriously, what the fuck?

Heh heh....thanks guys

Yeah it's frustrating. I came in contact with *a guy over on the DBZOA forums* and we were discussing the picture quality differnce between the original R2 Dragonbox dvds, Funi's uncut dvds, and MI's boot dvds...which I won't go into here. Suffice to say, he *knows his shit* when it comes to the PQ differences and maintains that the color on Funi's discs is over-saturated. This guy has offered to rip the Dragonbox dvds, add sub from Funi's dvds to them. I will refer to this as the "Custom Dragonbox Re-rip Project" .The thing is, he doesn't have a solution for where he'd get subs for the first two seasons and said that if he were to use a fansub VHS as a source, that it would be more difficult to add them to the dvds than it would be adding them from Funi's dvds(not sure why this is).

I could have bought both Dragonboxes already and watched them raw, unsubbed. But like I said, 1)I want them English subbed and 2) I'm saving up for a front projector(Infocus Screenplay 5700..MSRP $3999) and want to see Goku turn Super Saiyan for the first time on a 110" screen!

I'll be honest with you.....I'm not THAT anal about picture quality on something like an anime TV series, and I would have collected all the Funi uncut mini boxsets already. But the simple fact is that they are only available from the Ginyu saga onwards. Hence the reason I'm so pissed off and don't want to start watching them from the Ginyu arc, but want to start from the beginning instead. Depending on how much money I can scrape together in the next few months, I may have this other gentlemen do the "Custom Dragonbox Re-rip Project", or may just wait and see if Funi announces a boxset for the first two seasons.

Finally, this may be a stupid question....but when you guys refer to the Saiyaman arc, are you referring to the first two seasons? Are the first two seasons called the Saiyaman saga? Or is the Saiyaman saga another saga after Buu?

2. That does suck. I'm somewhat happy with how they handled the original series with about 10-16 episodes per set and $25-$30 for each set. I was hoping they'd do something along those lines but that doesn’t look likely now.

Quote Originally Posted by isamu
    Finally, this may be a stupid question....but when you guys refer to the Saiyaman arc, are you referring to the first two seasons? Are the first two seasons called the Saiyaman saga? Or is the Saiyaman saga another saga after Buu?
    Isn't that the saga that takes place between Cell Game & Buu with Gohan as the Great Saiyaman?
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

3. Quote Originally Posted by Xeno G
    Isn't that the saga that takes place between Cell Game & Buu with Gohan as the Great Saiyaman?
    Oh shit I think you're right! Now I remember that little arc. My bad

4. Wow, that's a pretty hardcore project. I've thought about doing the sub adding bit myself (though just on certain discs, not such a huge scale), but never got around to truly experimenting. I think I did some stuff, but had timing issues. This is probably nothing that will really help, but you might find some scattered scripts here - http://www.scriptclub.org

5. I will just wait until they get around to making them into box sets. I had to wait almost 5 years to see Sailor Moon uncut.

6. Quote Originally Posted by animegirl20
    I will just wait until they get around to making them into box sets. I had to wait almost 5 years to see Sailor Moon uncut.

yeah, you have to have the patience of a saint to wait for episodes of some of your favorite shows to come out on dvd.

7. THis is possibly the best post on the diffusionX board!!!!!!!
    What the fuck? Diff has his own board?

Anyway, maybe if DBZ fans didn't bend over and take the 800 seperate volumes Funimation released before with open anuses, Funi wouldn't assume they could get away with doing the same thing again.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    What the fuck? Diff has his own board?
    I don't know man, he always does that weird shit, he makes up his own quotes.

Then he answers them on the same post, like we have any fucking idea what's going on.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

9. Wait, I am confused. Are they releasing them as Seasons? Or like 3 episode chunks in like a zillion volumes.
    Barf! Barf! Barf!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Clash_Master
    3 episode chunks in like a zillion volumes.
    Bingo