Page 12 of 230 FirstFirst ... 810111213141626 ... LastLast

Thread: The GameFan history thread

1. I remember the Battle Monster stuff, I almost wanted to buy it, but the mistake was made to put screens of it in the piece, which turned me, and I'm sure many others, off instantly.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

2. Originally posted by adol

E. Storm on McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure:

"Believe me, this is an exceptional game. In fact, it's so good that witin minutes you'll forget all about Ronald because you'll be having fun, playing a great and original acion/platform that is ful of great play mechanics, colorful, detailed graphics and beyond 16bit special effects." GameFan Vol. 1 #12.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

3. A few more quick stories from the days of GameFan...

Bergstein (the guy in charge of Metropolis) had this small army of guys who did his bidding - problem solvers, basically, no matter how big or small the problem. They were all of the same certain ethnicity, Middle Eastern or something like that. The lead guy - Musha, Misha, Moesha, some name like that - had supposedly made sure more than a handful of guys were never seen or heard from again back in his home country.

Jody Setzer was a nice guy, but I had a stupid situation with him one time. He asked me if I wanted to help on the Puzzle Fighter guide (the pocket one that was given away at Kay-Bee), and I said sure, because I was a big fan of the game. He then took that to mean that I wanted to DO the strategy guide, and expected me to get started on it. I had never done a strategy guide in my life, and at that point, I had little grabbing experience and zero layout experience. I tried to tell him that I couldn't just "do" a strategy guide without at least some suggestion on how one makes one, and he got pissed about that. The project was given to a few of the other guys, but I still helped out on it.

Most of the foreign writers started working at GameFan totally illegally. They would come over on a visitor's Visa, work at the office, and once their three month vacation Visa was up, they would fly back to their country and stay there a bit until they could come back on another visitor's Visa.

THQ came by when they were trying to pimp their PSX fighter Vs. The semi-Asian girl with pink and black hair in the game was based on a real girl that one of the lead developers had a hard-on for. (It might have been his girlfriend, but I don't think so.) So THQ brought her along one day, and we sat down with her to play the game. Most of the guys were just goofing around, not really playing seriously, and letting her win. I wasn't such a gentleman, and kicked her ass in the game. Suddly, the THQ PR chick pulls out this Sony discman with a huge "Vs." sticker on it, and proclaims me the winner of the Vs. "tournament." We, of course, had no idea we were in some sort of tournament. The THQ PR woman was a TOTAL hottie, so even though their games sucked ass back then, I loved it when they stopped by.

I was in charge of reviewing Ten Pin Alley, a bowling game (and actually, a pretty good one) for the PSX. One of the guys who worked at the company releasing it, ASC Games, tried to convince me to convince Dave to put Ten Pin Alley on the cover of GameFan. He even offered to name one of the characters in the game after me if I could talk him into it.

I'll post more later.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.
    Oh, there's a doosy of a story behind that one. I shit you not, but Halverson was high on acid when he wrote the Cybermorph article, along with half the staff. We had just pulled a couple of all-nighters in a row, which was the norm at deadline times. Apparently, when The Enquirer came back to work the next morning, he dropped some acid in the coffee pot, which most of the crew, including Halverson, drank from. I wasn't a coffee drinker at the time so I didn't really notice anything unusual and didn't learn what was going on until George started threatening to murder Cockburn.

So, re-read that Cybermorph article now that you know he was on acid, and it'll shed new light on just why he thought it was such a great game.

5. Quote Originally Posted by djpubba
    Oh, there's a doosy of a story behind that one. I shit you not, but Halverson was high on acid when he wrote the Cybermorph article, along with half the staff. We had just pulled a couple of all-nighters in a row, which was the norm at deadline times. Apparently, when The Enquirer came back to work the next morning, he dropped some acid in the coffee pot, which most of the crew, including Halverson, drank from. I wasn't a coffee drinker at the time so I didn't really notice anything unusual and didn't learn what was going on until George started threatening to murder Cockburn.

So, re-read that Cybermorph article now that you know he was on acid, and it'll shed new light on just why he thought it was such a great game.
    You have got to be fucking kidding me....

If not.. funniest thing ever.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Klonoa
    I think Halverson posted on TNL once to straighten some things out (in a thread about Halverson, not surprisingly)

Either it really happened or, all this Halverson talk got me imagining things.
    Actually, to correct this, Dave stopped by the GameGO forum to plug the introduction of Play - he wasn't there because of any talk about him. He posted, I went nuts on him, and things snowballed from there. (That was a pretty interesting thread, actually, because a lot of the old GF crew ended up stopping by to say something.)

And the "acid in the coffee" story was still a pretty popular story when I was working there.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

7. Quote Originally Posted by djpubba
    Someone PLEASE scan this article. I have to see this again. Hah, this thread just keeps getting better.

8. Best mag ever, thanks guys!

9. Hahaha, that fucking rules.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I'd like to give a shout out to shidoshi and djpubba for what they've contributed to this thread. Gamefan was my all-time favorite gaming mag. As has been pointed out, it wasn't the best or most professionally written, but it had 10,000x the personality of any other mag. I enjoyed reading it so much I even read the sports game articles, and I couldn't give a shit about sports games.
    I hear that. Even though I don't have good things to say about Halverson's people skills, he was and still is dedicated to what he does and some great magazines came out of what he does. I take pride in the part I played in making GameFan. It was definitely the most interesting time of my life and there was a lot of good fun mixed into the nightmare.