Page 15 of 230 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: The GameFan history thread

The memories...

I just got done throwing out stacks of old Nintendo Powers and EGMs, but kept all my Gamefans.

It's great to hear from the people that were actively involved. Thanks, guys.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. Cripe. Does everybody HATE Dave Halverson (E. Storm) that much? I remember really liking E Storms reviews (tho I didn't agree with him as often as I did with ECM

"Originally posted by adol

E. Storm on McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure:

"Believe me, this is an exceptional game."

I'd call it a very good game

"In fact, it's so good that witin minutes you'll forget all about Ronald because you'll be having fun.."

True. You do forget about the main character being Ronald. and yes it is fun.

", playing a great and original acion/platform that is full of great play mechanics,"

True, its grreat and a action/platform game and anyone remember Ronald's scarf throw?

"colorful, detailed graphics and beyond 16bit special effects." GameFan Vol. 1 #12.

Yep, VERY colorful and some nice special effects.

Too bad I never had a chance to read that review in its full layout, full color, including screenshots glory

3. I once traded a guy a CDi and a few games for a damn near complete collection of gamefans. yay me!
    after four moves in one year, i got tired of lugging them around. i gave them away.
    i suck.

those mags were easily the highlight of my month back in the day, but it seems so long ago. I remember walking out of EB and sitting on the bench in front and reading the whole mag there. I couldn't wait to get home. It seems so long ago. I don't even remember who MVS used to be.

4. Kodomo. The guy with the soccer ball. I can't remember if he was technically "last generation" or next to last.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Kraftwerks
    those mags were easily the highlight of my month back in the day, but it seems so long ago. I remember walking out of EB and sitting on the bench in front and reading the whole mag there. I couldn't wait to get home.
    I can totally relate to this. Me and my folks lived in the country, so in the magazine's early years it was about an hour drive to the nearest GameFan.. no joke. I'd go into the mall, straight to Waldensoftware (now it's an EB), and pick up the newest copy. Usually, I'd read it cover-to-cover during the drive home.

GameFan came along at the perfect time for me. I'd been a devout EGM reader, but around 93 or 94, I started to think EGM's content had grown stale. The writing lacked character, the layout was bland, and as a result the magazine had grown boring. GameFan's personality, color and awesome coverage of titles like Cybernator (plus the Graveyard section, with SuperGrafx games, of all things!) won me over.

I keep wishing that some sort of magazine will rise with a modern-day take on the GameFan formula. However, with the discontinuation of so many magazines these days, it looks like the web (TNL, Insert Credit, Video Fenky, etc.) will remain my primary source of game reading.
    Last edited by Ex Ranza; 30 Dec 2004 at 10:21 AM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza
    December '93. I've been looking for a transcript or something on the web since my original copies are long gone, but to no avail. Man.. that was over 10 years ago.. I feel old..
    I've scanned it, but my photo editor blows. Here's the main review and I can post the overview by Kid Fan and company. The overview talked about playing the game for 2 days and didn't sound like anyone was on acid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reviewcm.JPG 
Views:	1943 
Size:	416.7 KB 
ID:	13309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyber.JPG 
Views:	1894 
Size:	386.2 KB 
ID:	13310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyber2.JPG 
Views:	1723 
Size:	371.2 KB 
ID:	13311  
    Last edited by gamevet; 30 Dec 2004 at 12:55 PM.

That was the first issue of GF I saw and I thought "Damn, could these guys make it any more obvious they received money from Atari?".

8. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    That was the first issue of GF I saw and I thought "Damn, could these guys make it any more obvious they received money from Atari?".
    The scores are the only reason I'd believe these guys were on acid at the time. Everything else sounds the norm. When I played Cybermorph after reading the review, I was wondering what these guys were smoking? I guess they weren't smoking anything, but the acid sure did make the experience trip-odelic.

After seeing a few more issues I came to expect super inflated scores at GF and ended up reading the mag for the import coverage.

10. I don't believe that's the right Cybermorph article. The acid one was more pages. I do, however, love how he calls the layout artist (which was probably Jacob Riskin or George Weising at the time), "my trusty Quadra operator". What an assface.