Page 214 of 230 FirstFirst ... 200210212213214215216218228 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,140 of 2291

Thread: The GameFan history thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    I see no reason to give a shit about him, and if it was important enough to him to put in a eulogy than it’s one more reason to not be bothered by the news.
    WTF?!

2. Regardless of political slantings, or other things, this is sad news. I enjoyed a lot of what ECM did during the Gamefan days. I was definitely a fan of his writing then, and this is a shame to hear. Deep condolences to his family, and friends.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Look at the main page of that site, it’s a brietbart level of shithole. I’m actually kind of disgusted that it was linked to here.
    bbobb, I'm asking you sincerely. Please stop with the shit posting. The man is dead.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

4. I'm sorry to hear about ECM. May he rest in peace.

That being said, it's enormously creepy to see his obituary published at an alt-right shithole website.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

5. STRIPLINGS!

R.I.P. E.C.M.

Wow, this is pretty shocking. Sad to hear he's gone, even if the time I would consider him an influence was short and very, very long ago. He gave FFVIII the shit it deserved and I'll always be grateful for that.

While Bbobb is being a bit callous I have to say the linked article may not be the best way to spread the news. I had to read that first paragraph like 3 times before I could get past it.

7. bbobb, that's a terrible attitude to take and frankly you are turning into a crusty old man. You should delete those posts and apologize.

I'm sorry to hear that he has passed. I hope his loved ones, friends and family alike, are doing the best that is possible in this situtation.

There was many a break between classes spent reading the wacky reviews of Gamefan. He and his contributions to game reviewing will be missed. He and the work of his staff throughout the years would help set the tone for western gaming online for years.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 21 Jan 2018 at 01:36 PM.

9. I was going to pass on the Trump thing, especially with "As another friend stated about him: ” …[his] hatred of self aggrandizement..." giving me serious mental whiplash, but it did drag my opinion of him down a level. That said, he left one hell of a mark on the industry in his days at Diehard Gamefan and I'm actually sad he's dead.

Tom Petty died of an accidental overdose. Carrie Fisher died with coke in her veins. Both things drag down my opinion of the dead but leave their accomplishments untouched.
    Last edited by James; 21 Jan 2018 at 06:07 PM.

10. I think his Teepublic site sums up ECM's contribution to the gaming community pretty well.

Right alongside quality 16-bit t-shirts featuring niche '90s gaming properties (MUSHA, PC Engine, Toaplan, Raizing), he was selling redpill and GamerGate shirts. Maybe he was just trying to make a buck off the MRM movement, but I think there was more to it than that.

I'm sorry he's passed on. But whatever role he had in stoking the GamerGate disaster should be recognized as well. People like ECM did a lot of long term damage to the online gaming community.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood