Page 23 of 230 FirstFirst ... 91921222324252737 ... LastLast

Thread: The GameFan history thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    Okay, I really have to know... what made you think that?
    I could have sworn that you posted that on the GameGo! boards.

2. Halverson was indeed an asshole. You shoulda seen the shit he pulled on System Zero a long time ago.

Utter Bullshit.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

3. Gamefan has always, and will always be my favorite video game magazine. In many ways I think it has shaped the way I look at gaming.

Like others, I remember going to EB to buy the latest issue and reading it right there. None of the other magazines have as much personality as Gamefan did, can you name one person on the staff of EGM? Maybe it helps that the GFers all had goofy names.

I'll always remember how both the Dreamcast, and Gamefan folded within 6 months of eachother. It made me loose interest in video games after a while.

\m/ GAMEFAN FOREVER \m/

GR was a good mag too, I wish I had bought more issues of it.

Quote Originally Posted by adol
    I could have sworn that you posted that on the GameGo! boards.
    I remember the same thing, except it being at TNL shortly after the GG migration not at GG.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    Hey, welcome Terry! The man that helped give Gamefan its 'look' is here. Good to have ya. You do some amazing shit with an airbursh.

Question: how hard is it to learn to use an airbrush, and do you still use it? Is Photoshop a better alternative in your opinion?

BTW, I used to have a Diehard Gamer's Club near me years ago in Manhasset. Cool place, they had a Monitaur statue bursting out of a wall in the back over the counter where the import toys and stuff were kept.
    Hey, thanks a lot. Learning the airbrush is a bit tricky; mixing paint, keeping it from clogging, cleaning it... Photoshop is much more forgiving (unlimitted undo's!)
    Funny about the monitaur statues. I actually helped design them but never got to see the finished project. I saw a small scale prototype but that was it. I figured it was just another of Bergstiens fantasies. But it kinda makes sense now- pour the company's money into giant fiberglass Monitaur statues instead of employee paychecks. Wonder why GameFan collapsed...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Hahaha, that's probably the funniest story yet. The stolen funds stuff is just pathetic though. Halverson being Halverson is probably his eternal punishment.
    Pathetic is a good way to describe Halverson.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetman
    Great Site, too Terry.Im really happy to hear that that the man responsible for all of the kick-ass Gamefan covers is doing so well in the biz.And your work still looks as stellar as ever,if not better than what I remember.And with that remark, I've filled my quotia for ass-kissing comments for the rest of the month.
    Haha, I understand, but it's always nice to hear. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jetman
    My God - these great stories just keep rolling out.Hookers, Yoshi, Sonic statues,mullets,motorbikes,and more....

And Halverson *shakes head* damn he sounded like such a shady dude.Like Shidoshi was saying in the GameGo threads, hopefully the guy has changed his tune a bit.
    Shidoshi was spot-on with his description of the Mulleted-One. I seriously doubt he has changed. He did in fact start his life as a used car salesman.

There's a bit more to the Vegas CES story as well, but I'll have to think about that one....

6. Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie
    Shidoshi was spot-on with his description of the Mulleted-One. I seriously doubt he has changed. He did in fact start his life as a used car salesman.

There's a bit more to the Vegas CES story as well, but I'll have to think about that one....
    and we all know salesmen lie through their teeth and would sell a lemon to their mothers just to come out on top.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    and we all know salesmen lie through their teeth and would sell a lemon to their mothers just to come out on top.
    He would probably sell his own mother!

8. but lucifer doesnt have a mother......or does he?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie
    He did in fact start his life as a used car salesman.
    That explains why he can keep starting magazines after fucking over previous ones and leaving them in the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie
    Some recent work you may have seen has been the game, "The Suffering" where I did Character Design, and also I worked on the film "Terminator3" where I designed Arnie's FX make-up. Also did some character designs for Midway's Area 51 remake which should be due out soon.
    Thats hot, way better than working on fucking videogame mags.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie
    Well said, Shidoshi. Although I seriously doubt Dave has changed much since then. I have never met anyone that would just bold-face lie directly to your face like Halverson would. Except when Bergstien came along... man, those two were a match made in Hell.
    Uh oh... ex-GameFan staffer +1. *heh*

Like I said, I'm willing to believe he's changed. I don't agree with a lot of the things that went down during my time at GameFan, but I also know that if you don't know the whole story on things, it is easy to fill in the gaps with mis-information and incorrect assumptions. Sort of the same way that it's easy to form an opinion of somebody know you only via the internet that ends up being wrong.

I won't take back what I've said about him in the past, but at the same time, I'm willing to get past all of that and give him a chance for who he is now. I look back at who I was back at that point, and I would hope that people would look at my more for who I am now than who I was then. *heh*

And sorry about your mad scientist character, but I was just following Dave's orders He could be pretty mean-spirited with that shit. Especially if you dressed or looked a little differently.
    Trust me, no hard feelings at all. My one Terry story, since I didn't have a lot of encounters with you, was right before I "left" the magazine. (When I moved back to Nebraska, but kept running the AnimeFan section.) Terry had put a lot of work into a brand new version of my character, which then only got used once - in the comic where all of the old staff members were killed off, and the remaining staff members were searching through the rubble.

Quote Originally Posted by IronPlant
    I forget, it would have been around the time GF had it's own quake2 server. I remember playing with a bunch of the GF and GR staff a few times.
    I can't remember exactly if it was Quake or Quake 2, but this was what pretty much got me into playing FPSs. I liked Doom and whatnot before that, but I swore by the control pad when playing them. Dan Jevons tried everything he could to get me to try keyboard + mouse, assuring me that it was the only proper way to play. I simply couldn't believe him, and was stubborn about trying it for a long time. Finally, I broke down, and finally saw the light. I spent many a night after hours in the office playing against the other guys.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.